Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #1

Share |

Unique freezing problem

Hi, I have inherited an interesting issue and hoping you guys can help me figure out a way to get it resolved. I have a furnace condensate drain tube that takes a very complex path from my upstairs furnace (jammed in crawl) to the its termination point outside my exterior wall. Each winter the damn thing freezes up and i have to thaw with a hairdryer. Is there any way to address this from the termination point? i.e. insulate, etc? the issue is it freezes as soon as it hit ambient air and then i am back to sq 1. Thanks!
miscatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #2

Unique freezing problem

can you install a condensate pump and reroute drain off furnace to pump and terminate inside at a drain point
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-30-2012), VIPlumber (07-30-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:02 AM   #3

Unique freezing problem

tee off the drain line just before it exits the house run it to an open sink in the basement put 2 cheap ball/gate valve on each line after the tee and do a winter/summer switching...why are you freezing condensate in the winterfrom the ac?..or is it induced draft piping that is producing condensate during the heating cycle...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #4

Unique freezing problem

Thanks for both of you for your response. I do have a pump that takes the condensate from the second story up over the roof rafters to the outside wall then down to the first floor and it comes out the wall to drain on the ground. There is no easy way to get to the crawlspace (i.e. it drains onto a bluestone patio). I'll post some pictures after work today to help clarify.
miscatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #5

Unique freezing problem

just a thought..but if you have a sewer vent pipe rising up thru the attic...who said that............

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (07-31-2012), VIPlumber (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #6

Unique freezing problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
just a thought..but if you have a sewer vent pipe rising up thru the attic...who said that............
that is too funny!
I thought about that this morning also, but wasn't gonna post it.
I thought, as soon as i post it, the sky will start falling. ("that's not to code" posts)
If it were mine, it would've already been done.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 07-31-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Lightfoot is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensate freeze