Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #1

Share |

Unidentified "Squeak" Pipe Noise

Hi all - Newcomer here. My wife and I recently moved into a new construction home that has the "endless" hot water system (i.e., not the standard hot water tank). It's a big square box in our basement.

The basement is furnished and we have a guest room down there. Unfortunately, there is a loud "squeak" noise that appears to be coming from inside the wall from sort of pipe. It is related to the water system, as it happens when the system runs or shortly thereafter. The sound emanates near the water system (within 10-15 feet or so) but not at the system itself. It happens pretty regularly, and we don't want guests in our home to be bothered by it if they are sleeping in the guest room.

I created a video where you can hear the squeak twice, once right when the video starts at about 1 second in. Then, you can hear it again at the 0:36 point. You can hear the water system turn on at around 0:31. There are also some other noises at 0:20 and 0:29 and 0:35. Seems like a lot of noise for 39 seconds. Is that normal? The squeak is definitely the worst one, and the one we want to eliminate - what is that??

Here is the video on YouTube, any help would be much appreciated!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2_cvzGajuA

newhomeownerchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #2

Not going to take the time to watch the vidio but most often it's the plumbing expanding and dragging on something, loose clamp, hole bored to small ECT. I'd be calling the builder and let them fix it.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #3

like joe said probably a pipe rubbing against a stud when it gets hot and expands.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote