Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Unfinished basement

Hello Everyone, I have been searching the web and so far its hard to find what I am looking for, so I came here since I like the layout. Few things, I am 25 first time home buyer. I do not know much about DIY projects but I am eager to learn. I have a un finished basement, literally just cement floor and concrete block wall. I have purchased everything to finish it on the weekend, it is approx 650sq. I have a very tiny bathroom upstairs (1 floor home)

I am planning on putting a bathroom downstairs, only thing is that I will need to bring up the cement floor and tie into the existing pipe. I do not know the diff between waste and sewesh line (Like the diff in looking at them, I know the term) There will be a Shower, 1 sink and a toilet. I had a plumber in and he quoted me $700 to do the job, but I do all the grunt work, bring up floor and then re-pour if after, so all he is doing is putting down the PVC and tieing it in, can not see that being worth $700. Anyways, I would really like to learn so I hope someone can point me into the right direction.

Thanks

p.s there are 2 drains and I believe a sewesh line all in that room (going to be room) and a vent stack. This home is approx 50 years old. so might be dealing with cast iron pipe not sure, the vent is copper and that is all I can see obv abover ground.

DrewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Always learning...

Unfinished basement

Welcome to the forum.

I'm fairly new myself but I do have some past experience with dealing with my houses. A few questions / comments...

How long have you lived in your home? Generally speaking, its suggested that you wait at least a couple of years to make sure you have no water problems. Even though it might seem dry now, if you get a downpour you don't want to find out that your basement has water issues once you have everything finished.

When you say 'sewesh' line I assumed you mean sewage line? You should be able to find your main line by going in your basement underneath your current bathroom. It will probably be a cast iron 3 or 4 inch pipe, all your other drains in the house won't be nearly that wide.

Plumbers make good money so yes, that $700 might not seem worth it to most members on this forum. To someone who doesn't know anything about plumbing and doesn't care to learn then that $700 might be worth it. If you read up on code and be 100% sure about all your connections then I would agree that you could probably do it yourself.

I have a Stanley plumbing book sitting around somewhere, not sure if it goes into detail about basement installations, never got to that point. Good luck!

P.S. - my grandpa (about 40yrs ago) created a false floor to keep from breaking up the floor and burying the pipes, the height of your basement will dictate whether or not this is an option for you.

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #3

Unfinished basement

Got to agree with everything that fetzer said.Tieing into cast iron is not always an easy job and being in the basement means NO flushing or washing once it's open till it's closed again.Have you thought about maybe putting in a laundry room since your doing plumbing anyway?Was the plumber also suppling and roughing in the supply lines?
daveb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #4

Unfinished basement

Hello,

I have been in my house for about 8 months now, the basement seems dry yes. previous owners of my home was the only owner her parents built it etc. I actually came around one day and she showed me the few things that she has noticed over the years, I asked about water in basement she said she has never had any.

Yes sorry I mean sewage (my spelling is horrible), I do believe it is cast iron. and I have heard it is diff to tie into these pipes.

Daveb when you mention that there will be NO flushing or washing until it is closed again, what does that mean? I do have a laundry room downstairs that I built when I moved in.

I at least like to be able to find instructions or steps too directions on how to start after I dig up the ground. In the end whether I do this or not myself I want to know myself on the basics.

Thanks
DrewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #5

Unfinished basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
Got to agree with everything that fetzer said.Tieing into cast iron is not always an easy job and being in the basement means NO flushing or washing once it's open till it's closed again.Have you thought about maybe putting in a laundry room since your doing plumbing anyway?Was the plumber also suppling and roughing in the supply lines?
Once the sewer(waste) line is cut off, any flushing or waste water will pour out onto the floor of the basement until the waste line is re-connected.Hopefully only a couple of hours but for a DIY count on more.
daveb1 is online now   Reply With Quote