Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #1

Share |

Undermounted kitchen sink questions

I plan to have a new standard sized undermounted (or undercounter, whichever term is correct) two-basin cast iron kitchen sink installed below a new granite countertop. Kohler has several such sinks, and I have three questions: (1) My wife wants something other than the basic square two-basin unit, so we see some of the Kohler sinks with curved backsides, supposedly to accomodate larger pots and pans. That's fine, but are there any issues with these curves that would affect faucet installation that I should be aware of? (2) Kohler offers some sinks with a reduced-height divider...some seem almost 1/2 the full height. Any pros or cons on that feature? Finally, (3) the sinks come with a variety of numbers and locations of pre-drilled holes for faucets, soap dispensers, sprayers, etc. It seems like a stupid question, but since I've heard there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers, I'll go ahead and ask: Since the sink is mounted below the countertop, would it make any difference at all how many holes were pre-drilled as long as there were at least enough to accomodate the faucet one wanted to install? In other words, if I needed 2 or 3 holes would it matter if the sink came pre-drilled with 5 holes? Thanks.

janralix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #2

there is the possibility that drilling out that many holes will compromise the structural integrity of the sink. Just a thought.

fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #3

Seems to me that a sink with no holes looks better...and drill the granite with holes for the stuff you pick out?
Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote