Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Underground plumbing

I just bought a lot and am getting ready to build and ran into an issue. I was hooking into the underground city sewer line when I noticed that my underground 3 1/2 " line that is stubbed up to service my lot continues on past my lot then services 3 other homes (that I know of). Can multiple homes be on one 3 1/2'" line ? This does not seem right to me but I am not a plumber at all.

warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to GarageDoorCente

Underground plumbing

A 4" Line is sufficient per Washington code, for 2 "families". We have built many duplexes and we use 1 6" service, but we could use a 4". We do these duplexes back to back, so we have 2 6" for every unit, but smaller is available. We installed a 2" pipe for 2 houses, but it had a grinder and pump on the outlet for the duplex, that way our sewer line could make it to the city's without running about a quarter of a mile, to get to the only downhill place. If this is a normal service, it had to be inspected to be put in(it's a little obvious when someone is digging down to a sewer) and was approved for the job, but it doesn't seem correct to me to have 3 on that small of a pipe, even though no person poops that much

GarageDoorCente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Underground plumbing

I'm confused. 3.5" ? ? ? I've never heard of such a thing.

standard sizes are 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 6 and on up.....

our code defines sizing requirements for 1.25, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 6, 10 and larger

You can't readily buy the 2.5 and 1.25 at least around here. Odd size if it's really 3.5

If you're measuring the outside diameter of ABS or something similar, it would measure ~3.5, but we go by inside diameter.

3" will only take 3 toilets on a horizontal line per our local code. Check with yours to be sure.
Please verify the size of your pipe too.

Last edited by Alan; 03-02-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Underground plumbing

OK I dug down further and I was wrong ( I hate that). The pipe is 6" and it serves 4 other single wide trailer rental homes with one bathroom. The town is very small and has had very little control over building ( look up Conconully Wa.). They are now getting control of the issues ( Thank you Zac) my concern is the area is growing and becoming a vacation spot. How much can a 6" pipe handle?
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Underground plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerww View Post
OK I dug down further and I was wrong ( I hate that). The pipe is 6" and it serves 4 other single wide trailer rental homes with one bathroom. The town is very small and has had very little control over building ( look up Conconully Wa.). They are now getting control of the issues ( Thank you Zac) my concern is the area is growing and becoming a vacation spot. How much can a 6" pipe handle?
6" pipe will take a whole-heckuva-lot more than 3 single wides.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Underground plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerww View Post
How much can a 6" pipe handle?
Simple math indicates the cross sectional area of a 6" pipe is 4 times larger than a 3" pipe.

HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote