Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #1

Share |

unable to stop leaky kitchen faucet w/ new valve

EDIT: problem solved with new plastic bearings that fit inside the faucet hub.

We have a Kohler single-lever kitchen faucet that won't stop leaking when the faucet is rotated towards the right side of the sink.

Not sure of the model # but it resembles the Forte. When it started to leak I took it apart, removed the valve, got the valve P/N, and requested a replacement from Kohler.

The valve has an integrated red gasket, roughly clover-shaped, that sits in a groove in its base. There are no plastic bearings or o-rings. The valve also has two plastic prongs on its base that mate with holes in the faucet.

I lubed the gasket with Dow 111 silicone, reseated the valve taking care to mate the prongs with the holes in the faucet base, tightened down the lock nut hand-tight, turned on the valve -- some water gurgles up out of the top of the valve-- so I tighten the lock nut another quarter-turn with a wrench, and the water stops coming out the valve.

However, when I move the faucet towards the right, water wells up and trickles out onto the counter top. Tightening the locknut an additional quarter-turn, half-turn, three-quarter-turn, so it's very tight, does not stop that trickle. Loosening the locknut until water gurgles out the top of the valve, and then barely tightening it again until that gurgling stops, doesn't fix the leak that happens when the faucet is moved.

Any ideas why rotating the faucet should have any effect on the valve seal?

Last edited by diy888; 02-28-2011 at 08:42 AM.
diy888 is offline   Reply With Quote