DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Unable to remove Shower valve (

abacuslearns 10-26-2007 08:26 PM

Unable to remove Shower valve
2 Attachment(s)
I have a Symmons Tremptrol mixing valve that I believe has either a bad or a cruddy diverter. I have bought the identical unit at Home Depot and I was trying to swap it out. Problem is - I can't get the valve, handle, knob etc OFF! :censored:

We live on a well- so I am guessing the threads are badly mineral encrusted- which is probably also the problem inside. I also bought a puller but the thing just does not want to budge! Eventually the puller arms pop off from underneath. Looking for any suggestions. I tried heating the knob with a hair drier until it was hot to the touch- and tapping it with a hammer, No luck.

Two pictures- one of the unit itself and one with the puller. Any suggestions on how to get this off would be appreciated! Thanks!

Mike Swearingen 10-26-2007 08:33 PM

I assume that you're planning on replacing everythng but the faucet body itself?
When all else fails (heat, hammer-tapping, puller, WD-40 soaking, etc., etc.), just hacksaw-blade the thing in a couple of places and chisel it off.
Or, you might try clamping the puller arms together to keep them from slipping off. Or try a sturdier three-arm puller.
Good Luck!

scrapiron 10-26-2007 08:42 PM

If the unit is going to be replaced and damaging the present unit is not a concern and if soaking in vinegar and or penetrating oil doesn't work and if more serious heat (mapp or propane) fails then it might be time to resort to violent methods such as a hacksaw or sawzall. Cut the knob on each side and split it off. Time is money.

abacuslearns 10-26-2007 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen (Post 70081)
I assume that you're planning on replacing everythng but the faucet body itself?Mike

When you say "faucet body" are you referring to the piece on the left? (new one shown below). If so, then yes. I don't solder ( a man has to know his limitations...) and wouldn't even begin to attempt it a first time in such a small area. I was hoping I could just switch out the "guts" if you will.
Attachment 1582

In fact- I was actually kind of *hoping* that once I got in there I would be able to salvage what I have by maybe soaking it in Vinegar or something. Then I could bring the new one back to Home Depot. I bought it mostly to see how it goes together to see if there was something I was missing with regard to why I couldn't get the knob off.

...however I am beginning to think If I have to sledgehammer the orginal one off- I may not be able to bring anything back.:(

scrapiron 10-26-2007 09:00 PM

One more thought. If you can get the puller on the knob under some serious tension give the threaded rod part of your puller a whack. As if you are trying to drive the puller into the knob. This puts all of the hammers energy into driving the shaft away from the knob.

abacuslearns 10-26-2007 09:25 PM

Thanks- I'll try it in the a.m. Kids in bed now...

Mike Swearingen 10-27-2007 02:12 AM

Yes, the object on the left in your photo is the facuet body that is in the wall.
If you're gong to all of the trouble that you obviously are, I would replace everything except that. I've done that myself on amy number of things over the years (faucets, bathroom vent fan units, etc.) in the interest of time and effort.
Works like new.
Good Luck!

abacuslearns 10-27-2007 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In the directions it talks about removing the hot and cold "seat" from inside the faucet body and shows a picture of the tool used. Is this "seat removal tool" a standard plumbing tool that I can pick up at a plumbing supply, home depot, etc? I figure I should replace as many parts with the new ones as I can... I am hoping this isn't a Symmons-specific tool available only from them.

Mike Swearingen 10-27-2007 10:10 AM

A seat tool is a common plumber's tool (L-handles and T-handles), and unless the seat is very old with a round center, most should be threaded and able to be removed, so that they can be replaced.
I would get the seats out, take them to the store, and replace them with exactly what came out. (Notice the difference in the hot and cold for that particular faucet?)
Edit: Sometimes leaks are caused by nothing more than the threads around the seats being corroded and worn. When replacing the seats in this old faucet body, I would wrap a flat wrap or two of teflon tape around the seats clockwise only as the threaded end faces you, just for insurance. Be careful when installing the new seats not to turn them in too much. If you screw them in too much, they could fall into the faucet body, and then you would have to replace it.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1