DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Type WL Copper Pipe

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Nestor_Kelebay 
#1 ·
I've had some old 1/2 inch pipe laying around for years. It looks like I finally have an opportunity to use it. However, The only marking I can find on it (stamped) is "CHASE TYPE WL". I can't find a reference for "Type WL" anywhere.

Can anyone tell me if this is a suitable substitute for today's Type L copper pipe? The CHASE Type WL is definitely thicker than Type M.

#2 · (Edited)
If it wuz me, I'd take a piece of that pipe anywhere they'd have a caliper and measure the inside diameter of the pipe.

Type K has an ID of 0.527 inches, a wall thickness of 0.049 inches and an OD of 0.625 inches.
Type L has an ID of 0.545 inches, a wall thickness of 0.040 inches and an OD of 0.625 inches.
Type M has an ID of 0.569 inches, a wall thickness of 0.028 inches and an OD of 0.625 inches.

Or, contact the company that made the stuff and ask them:

https://www.chasebrass.com/company/index.jsp

Finally, the ASTM Specification that established the Type K, L and M tubing sizes was ASTM B 88. There is also ASTM B 698 that lists other standard tubing sizes, but ASTM wants to charge $38 to tell us what's in that standard. If you pop down to your local engineering library, they should have a copy of the ASTM Standards, and you can photocopy ASTM B 698.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.