Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tying laundry tub into old cast iron drain

Hey guys... We're in the process of renovating our basement. The home is over 100 years old, and damned if most of the plumbing isn't about the same. We currently have a laundry tub, which has an old school utility pump under it. The exact order is laundry tub --> p-trap and a tee to an ancient float switch --> utility pump --> vertical pipe --> 45 degree bend --> vertical pipe --> 180 degree bend --> 90 degree bend --> y-pipe which also drains the kitchen --> drain pipe.

As you can see in the mess on the pic, the drain pipe is gigantic, old cast iron. The ABS piping currently leaks from 2-3 places (on top of not being done right in the first place, we had a sewer backup that built pressure up a year or so ago)...

So, I'm planning on literally yanking everything and starting over. Got a new tub, a fancy new utility pump with self-contained float, and will be getting all the necessary ABS.

I have three questions:

1) Is the current piping used from the tub to the drain needlessly complicated? Can I not just go tub --> p-trap --> pump --> vertical pipe --> 90 degree --> drain? Or is that 180 degree there for a reason?

2) What would be the easiest way to tie back into that cast iron? It's hard to see, but I'm assuming there's some sort of sealing sleeve from the ABS to the cast iron. Should I leave that and cut 2" out from the cast iron, and try to put another Y-connector there? Or try to pull the whole thing out of the drain and start over?

3) The cast iron drain goes along the ceiling to the other side of the room, then does an immediate 90 degree down, and then another bend out of the house. Should I expect to get wet when I pull the ABS out of the cast iron? I would assume since it's well above the actual outlet out of the house, there shouldn't be all that much in there... Should I have a bucket ready?

Thanks for the help.

tigeraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
We're in the process of renovating our basement.
The home is over 100 years old, and damned if most of the plumbing isn't about the same.
How long has it been since the sewer line out to the street has been replaced? I'm suggesting that if the sewer
line was re-done you might/should be able to do that in a deeper trench and bring the new pipe in BELOW the
basement floor.

This will open up all sorts of possibilities for you and your remodeling plans.
If the "dig 'em up" is about due (close to due?) anyway...
(ask your neighbors)
Quote:
1) Is the current piping...
Can I not just go washer --> tub --> p-trap --> pump --> etc
probably

2) What would be the easiest way to tie back into that cast iron?
Or try to pull the whole thing out of the drain and start over?
(see above)

3) The cast iron drain goes along the ceiling to the other side of the room...
Should I expect to get wet..
That's a safe bet.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,252

Going under slab is a good option to look at- everything would then be gravity flow so no pump needed.
If that's not possible- remove the 4" building drain overhead and replace with plastic- start the replacement at the base of the stack. Now you can pipe the pump line and kitchen line separately into the 4"
The pump should enter above the flow line of the 4"- that appears to be their attempt with the 180 bend.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
How long has it been since the sewer line out to the street has been replaced? I'm suggesting that if the sewer
line was re-done you might/should be able to do that in a deeper trench and bring the new pipe in BELOW the
basement floor.

This will open up all sorts of possibilities for you and your remodeling plans.
If the "dig 'em up" is about due (close to due?) anyway...
(ask your neighbors)
HAH!

Yeah, that's all done and over with already. The pipe was clay, and collapsed almost 2 years ago. It's been mostly replaced with ABS outside, and we now have a nice clearout in the garden too.

But unfortunately at the moment we don't have the time/money to deal with replacing that cast iron drain pipe. If it was as simple as just cutting out the 8-10 feet across the ceiling and replacing with ABS, no problem. But on the other side of the basement, it takes a 90 degree down, then another 90 degree (with a slight slope of course) out of the house. And THAT 90 is still a good 4 feet off the concrete floor. So it's probably quite a ways out into the yard before the sewer is low enough that I could tie in from the basement floor--does that make sense?

Anyway, we're happy with just using the laundry pump for now, so thanks to both of you for the tips.

But should I try pulling the ABS completely out of the cast iron pipe and re-"sleeving" it, or cut it a few inches from the iron?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Going under slab is a good option to look at- everything would then be gravity flow so no pump needed.
If that's not possible- remove the 4" building drain overhead and replace with plastic- start the replacement at the base of the stack. Now you can pipe the pump line and kitchen line separately into the 4"
The pump should enter above the flow line of the 4"- that appears to be their attempt with the 180 bend.
Sorry, just re-read that and saw what you meant. but again, it would still involve removing those two big cast iron 90s and the horizontal clearout on the opposite wall.

The other problem is, I don't know where the other end of that cast iron drain goes, out into my kitchen crawlspace you see there...

Could I, maybe, cut out JUST the 8-10 feet of pipe, leaving the cast iron in the crawlspace, AND the cast iron 90deg on the far wall, and run ABS in between them? Is there any point?