Two Toilets......air In Between?? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Two Toilets......air in between??

I have a split level house with a toilet on the ground floor and the third floor. Recently, when we flush the upstairs toilet, the downstairs toilet starts to fill and it seems like air is being forced through as the water looks as though it is boiling.

Last night the basement toilet overflowed a bit when the upstairs toilet was flushed, so I turned the main water supply to the house off completely. The water level in the downstairs toilet returned to normal a bit later and I turned the main water back on and the pipes started shaking, so I turned it back off. I then turned it back on about a third of the way and there was no shaking.

My friend said it could be air in the line or a problem with the vent for the toilet. There does not seem to be any obstruction to the pipe on the roof.

Anyone have any ideas?.....

Steve

Advertisement

Crypte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

The banging pipes have stopped, since running the water in the upstairs tub and sink while I opened the main water valve fully..

I still have the issue of the standing water in the downstairs toilet bubbling up when the upstairs toilet is flushed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Crypte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

sounds like a partial clog in you main drain
Attached Thumbnails
Two Toilets......air in between??-roto.jpg  
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

The shaking of the pipes when turning on your main water line is called "air hammer", its pockets of air in the system that are forced to move quickly when water is forced through the pipes the air is then slammed around the pipes causing a shaking , if the house is older it may not have shock arrestors installed wich are like a shock absorber for the are eliminating the movment of the pipes. But thatr would have nothing to do with the clogging of the toilet, they are to different systems: Sewer system and domestic water system, they do not intertwine. It does sound like you might have a clogg after the down stairs toilet, you can try to unclogg youself by removing the toilet(easy) and renting a pipe auger(snake), to remove any blockage.
zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote