Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Two piece tub/surround unlevel

Hi... new here... I know what the issue is, but am looking for ideas in how to deal with it.

About 12yrs ago we had the bathroom redone - we gutted to studs and had a plumber install a new fiberglass tub/surround. It has a seam where the two pieces meet.

Y'all know where I'm going right?

Clearly the tub is installed unlevel sideways - the water runs along the seam, into the drywall - mainly at the drain end.

I've dug out the loads of caulking the now ex hubby stuffed in there, water seems to get behind it and run along the seam anyway. Plastic Qtip sticks stuffed into the seam diverts the water for a while. (yes, that desperate!)

There's a moulded shelf/grab bar built into the side, and that mould pattern seems to almost go down to the seam. So sticking "tub grout tape" along won't work - it can't handle the curves.

Any suggestions on something I can use to seal that seam, or deflect water from running along it like a channel?

Thanks

mamadukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 100

Is it safe to assume you aren't planning to pull this out and re-do the thing?

Some sort of picture is going to be needed---I think to temporary fix could be done with silicone caulk ---but I need more info---

Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 22

Yes, Pictures would really help. Sounds like you need a Z flashing to redirect water into the tub, but we need pics.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #4

I'll try to take pictures and find a teenager around here to load them for me.

Caulking the seam still allows the water to run along it and out of the tub, into the wall.

And... a total rip out re/do is out of the question right now. Even if I pulled the tub surround out, the tub itself is just unlevel enough that the water will run along and out.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 38

well sorry to say 2 wrongs don't make it right...unit needs to be pulled to fix it right....if it was put in unlevel my guess it was not set in cement as it should have been which means it can come out fairly easy cleaned up and reinstalled..ben sr..again sorry
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
well sorry to say 2 wrongs don't make it right...unit needs to be pulled to fix it right....if it was put in unlevel my guess it was not set in cement as it should have been which means it can come out fairly easy cleaned up and reinstalled..ben sr..again sorry
It's set in a bed of something - looked like some sort of cement or plaster. I think they just didn't set it level, or somehow knocked it off level when they set the surround in.

I'll figure out a way to "mickey" it for the time being - even if I have to make a caulk "dam" to lead the water back into the tub.