Two Part Question - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 62
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Two part question


Running a up flush into the basement. I can not really run a vent pipe straight up into the attic. I have to run it up obviously to the first floor then a 90 degree turn about12 feet to meet up with a current toilet vent. Here is where I have some choices. I can cut apart the connection at the toilet vent where it meets right under the toilet. Or I'll have to do another 90 degree and follow the current vent into the attic and then tie into the attic.

Now will it be an issue to run that vent horizontal for about 12 feet. And have 2-3 90 degree turns into it.


Second the current vent Im looking into tieing into vents into the attic. I have two vents in the house one goes outside from the master and the vent I just spoke of which is a half bath goes into the attic with a black gas vent cap on it. Doesn't seem to sink and didn't see any signs of moisture. But if I tie into this went it will go from a sink and toilet to two toilets, two sinks and a shower.

Advertisement

nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 558
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Two part question


Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
I can cut apart the connection at the toilet vent where it meets right under the toilet.
Not by Code, you can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
Or I'll have to do another 90 degree and follow the current vent into the attic and then tie into the attic.
Yes...do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
Now will it be an issue to run that vent horizontal for about 12 feet. And have 2-3 90 degree turns into it.
Not an issue.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
Second the current vent Im looking into tieing into vents into the attic. I have two vents in the house one goes outside from the master and the vent I just spoke of which is a half bath goes into the attic with a black gas vent cap on it.
That's called an AAV (Air Admittance Valve) - a "mechanical vent". It may not work with the ejector because it may not let in enough air to keep up with the ejector pump. You'd be better off extending that vent through the roof.

Advertisement

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 62
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Two part question


Hey thanks. I figured it wouldn't be to code, but my biggest concern would be if it works. once the job is complete it will be buried and nothing somebody is going to notice.

Now on that vent that's into the attic this is whats on it http://www.zorotools.com/g/00071173/...FYpaMgodWjcAEA

Venting into the attic is code from what I gather as I looked back at the home inspection and that was covered.

Now if I take that cap off and just put a 90 degree downturn elbow that should work as I have seen that. Don't get me wrong I don't like venting into the attic and will eventually get through the roof with it, as a temp thing It should be ok to just open it up as I explained
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 558
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Two part question


Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
Hey thanks. I figured it wouldn't be to code, but my biggest concern would be if it works. once the job is complete it will be buried and nothing somebody is going to notice.

Now on that vent that's into the attic this is whats on it http://www.zorotools.com/g/00071173/...FYpaMgodWjcAEA

Venting into the attic is code from what I gather as I looked back at the home inspection and that was covered.

Now if I take that cap off and just put a 90 degree downturn elbow that should work as I have seen that. Don't get me wrong I don't like venting into the attic and will eventually get through the roof with it, as a temp thing It should be ok to just open it up as I explained
It depends on your local code. I'm in MA, and AAV's (like the one pictured in your link) are not allowed without special permission from the state Board (and they almost never grant that permission). Some states allow them pretty freely, it seems. I also can't recommend leaving an open vent pipe in the attic. I'd rather add a 2nd AAV to the top of the stack before I did that - and only as a temporary thing until I put it up through the roof.

Edited to add: The vent for the ejector should be minimum 2" diameter from the basin all the way through the roof.

Last edited by Ishmael; 02-24-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 62
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Two part question


Ok thanks. Thanks for clearing things up and confirming some of my thoughts. Yeah I don't like leaving a vent in an attic like that either. So Ill run my 2in vent up and over and every time I put a 90 or 45 in Ill ensure it runs up at lest a little. Once I get into the attic, Ill combine the two and up and out through the roof. Thanks
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,601
Rewards Points: 1,746
Default

Two part question


Actually that black thing he pictured is not legal in any code. It's a mechanical vent with a spring. Commonly called a cheater vent. Air Admittance Valves have no springs.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 558
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Two part question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Actually that black thing he pictured is not legal in any code. It's a mechanical vent with a spring. Commonly called a cheater vent. Air Admittance Valves have no springs.
Interesting. Since they're illegal here and I don't use them, I've never seen any design/type other than that particular one. I had to google it to see what you're talking about. Still Mickey Mouse either way.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 62
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Two part question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Actually that black thing he pictured is not legal in any code. It's a mechanical vent with a spring. Commonly called a cheater vent. Air Admittance Valves have no springs.

Nothing mechanical no springs no nothing. Just a cap with the holes on the sides.

Its definitely mickey mouse and I dont like it and it will be going throught he roof when get to finishing it.

Advertisement

nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Delta tub spout question natwin Plumbing 19 02-17-2013 02:23 PM
two part central A/C question fred54 HVAC 5 03-22-2012 08:57 PM
Dishwasher Question: Any idea what this part is called and where I might can find it? Shpigford Appliances 1 07-23-2009 07:12 AM
Rafter question mrmarkyt Building & Construction 4 04-08-2009 10:19 PM
Basement Renovation Question KUIPORNG Remodeling 234 08-26-2008 09:19 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts