Two Drains, One Sink - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

two drains, one sink

I just started tearing out some old walls to get ready for my new wet bar. I found an interesting plumbing situation which I have yet to figure out what were they thinking when they built the house.

I thought the drain for the kitchen sink was pretty simple. one drain down to the basement but when I opened up the drywall I found ANOTHER drain into the floor (no access to the clean out... yeah, I will fix that). It turns out that it is the main drain to the kitchen. At this point I am thinking, what is the other drain for. I thought I had hit gold because now I could plan my ensuite (another DIY project for later).

When I got a camera up there to take some pictures I got very very confused. The attached picture says it all.... WHY WOULD ONE DRAIN BE CONNECTED TO A TEE CONNECTION AND THEN RUN DOWN TO TWO DIFFERENT DRAINS INTO THE CONCRETE FLOOR?

I am going to tie into one of these for my wet bar using a wet vent just not sure which.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
two drains, one sink-doubledrain.jpg  

Advertisement

navymike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 4,250

two drains, one sink

More pictures needed--My guess is one is a drain and the other is a vent,heading for the attic---

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #3

two drains, one sink

Later today I will put up a drawing of what I see. The reason for considering it strange is that it appears to be one 3" drain splitting into two 1 1/2" lines that each go to the basement floor.

I did check the vent stack going to the roof and it is a 1 1/2" line (3" out the roof) which is dedicated for this drain.

I looked under the sink and there is only 1 1/2" line under the sink (no sign of any 3").
The Following User Says Thank You to navymike For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #4

two drains, one sink

I took a really good look at the pictures and it seems that there are two lines coming down right beside each other. Would that make sense? I suspect that if that is the case then the unused line was put in when house was built because there is unused space in the upstairs for an ensuite.

Then it comes down to the next question. Which line should I tie into for the wetbar. The obvious answer would seem to be the unused stack but if I was considering (while I have it open) to drop the ceiling and used the stack to plumb in the ensuite (rough in) or at least upgrade the drain line to 3" for a future WC.

Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 3,120

two drains, one sink

The problem I'm having is that you are there and I'm on the other side of the monitor-- I can't make any sense of your description....
Is the picture above the sink, below the sink?
What is below the 3" tee?
Can you sketch the layout?
ben's plumbing (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #6

two drains, one sink

We solved the mystery. It is actually two lines coming down. One is the drain from the kitchen and the other appears to be a rough in with its own drain and clean out. My plan is to actually tie into the existing drain and upgrade the other drain line to 3" so that when I do the ensuite it will have a drain for the WC. The image attached shows the two drain lines coming down and the will be on both ends of the wet bar. The one on the left is the sink drain. The one on the right runs across the top of the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
two drains, one sink-1417493197003.jpg  
Old 12-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #7

two drains, one sink

Updated image of what I think and what I am unsure about best plan.

The red line is the vent line. The black is the drain for upstairs sink and dishwasher. only line on that system. Potential for upstairs ensuite directly above wetbar area.

Should I tie the bar into the drain for the sink (wet vent) or the other line (was going to upgrade the red line from below the floor to 3" for a WC drain in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
two drains, one sink-framing-plumbing-plan2.jpg  
Old 12-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,412

two drains, one sink

B is your choice. and easier. You may have to add a revent on B if your distance from B's stack exceeds 6 foot to your trap at the bar. The upper part of B is called a vent nothing is draining down it.

A is called a stack it has your kitchen draining down it. If you tie into A you will need to vent that sink back into B's vent a minimun of 42 inches above your basement floor.

A Drain has water borne waste. A vent has only air. A stack has waste and picks up something on a different floor.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-03-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #9

two drains, one sink

I checked with the building department and am going to use the existing drain as a wetvent system or cut the vent off and bring it down the wall behind the sink and tie it in as a full vent. This will free up the other vent lines which I will redirect to be used for future development of an ensuite directly above the wet bar.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,412

two drains, one sink

A vertical wet vent with a kitchen sink. Not in my code?
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #11

two drains, one sink

I found a reputable plumber who came in and roughed in everything including the wet bar and the future ensuite. I will post pictures if any wants to see what the end result is.
The Following User Says Thank You to navymike For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 4,250

two drains, one sink

Please--pictures are always welcome--
Old 12-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #13

two drains, one sink

Ensuite plumbing ready to go in the future and wet bar ready for power drywall and cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
two drains, one sink-1419180479730.jpg   two drains, one sink-1419180523757.jpg   two drains, one sink-1419180541607.jpg   two drains, one sink-1419180561924.jpg  

Advertisement