Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #1

Share |

Two Condos - One Feed

I own a condo with the following: 2-Tub/Shower Combo's, 2-Toilets, Dishwasher, Kitchen Sink, 4-Bathroom Sinks, 1-Patio Faucet. My unit is upstairs with an identical unit below (same fixture count). Each unit HAD it's own 3/4" feed with seperate shut-off vales about 30' away at the common meter box. HERE'S the problem. The downstairs unit had a leak in their line under the slab and after two days of attempting to locate and repair the line the plumbers deceided to abandon the downstairs feed and tee into our 3/4" feed so now both units share one feed, esscentially doubling the number of fixtures on one 3/4" line. Additional am I correct in thinking that because I am upstairs and if both units are using water, the downstairs unit gets more pressure? And ideas would be helpful!

mortym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Two Condos - One Feed

I don't agree that the downstairs unit would recieve any more water pressure or volume. The water will somewhat maintain it's own water pressure and flow rate between the units. But--let's say a shower is on in one unit, and someone turns on a faucet in the other unit wide open, this may lead to a temporary fluctuation of the water pressure/volume and cause the HOT water to be dominant within the shower. Not good. Technically you have always had this setup if you had a "common meter" with lines feeding each unit. Unless you had, or have installed "back-flow prevention devices" (BPD's) you would still have had water equalizing between the piping setups.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #3

Two Condos - One Feed

Thats my whole point. There are four units fed by a 2" line that drops into four 3/4" lines each feeding a unit. Now two are sharing one 3/4" line (my feed line) and so with all off the potential fixture demand doubled don't I now have half the volume capacity? For example if the downstairs unit turns on his sink and I turn on the same sink 12' above on the same line doesn't that sink have more volume pressure? Also from what I've read line size is directly driven by the number of fixture units. Now thay have doubled and the line size has not increased?
mortym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
Experienced

Two Condos - One Feed

Call the management company and get it fixed right, tapping onto the 3/4" feed will indeed allow for dramatic pressure and flow fluctuation. I would doubt what they did is code.

If you don't get the answer you want from the association call the city inspector for more guidance.

You are correct, splitting the 3/4" feed is a problem you shouldn't have to deal with, and its pure poop.

I don't agree with Thurman, the only time pressure will equalize is in a static state, once there is flow the line with the resistance (elevation change) will have greater flow.

Mark

Last edited by Jackofall1; 07-04-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #5

Two Condos - One Feed

Are you actually noticing any pressure changes?

I would not expect the hot water to dominate if you have a separate water heater because the same 3/4 inch feed is ultimately feeding both cold and hot water.