Turquoise Sediment Clogging Aerator - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

turquoise sediment clogging aerator

A few weeks ago I noticed we were quickly losing water pressure at our kitchen sink. I pulled the original aerator and it was all clogged up with a turquoise colored sediment. I picked up a new aerator and all was well for a couple days. When I pulled that it too was clogged already! Today I pulled it again, cleaned the screen and with the water on high rinsing the screen I noticed that I'd be getting chunks of this sediment every couple of seconds! The water is also now pouring very very cloudy - almost milky with fine bubbles. Bathroom doesn't seem to be effected like the kitchen sink, but we need to get some advice as to what could be causing this problem at (at least) the kitchen sink.

Thanks,

Advertisement

poger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

A buildup of sediment somewhere in the plumbing system may just have been jostled loose.

From time to time your city may flush the water mains, usually by opening a fire hydrant full blast for a few minutes. Not all of the sediment is flushed out of the water mains and until it settles back down, some will come out in every house's faucets for maybe a few days.

Let the water run with the aerator taken off. It should become clear after not too long.

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,040

Err-do you have an electric water heater, and IF SO, how old is the unit? IF you have an electric water heater and it is at least, say five (5) years old, you may have the "dip tube" breaking apart on you. The life of the dip tube will depend on the type of water you are getting into the water heater from your supply source. I have seen some dip tubes which were a sort of "turqoise" color after having been in a few years, they were blue originally. As these dip tubes break down they more than often break into very small pieces which will travel out into your hot water piping. IF you can capture some more of these little pieces, look closely at them to see if they appear to be a "plastic" looking material, and see if you can crush them on a hard surface with the back of a teaspoon. The only way to diagnose the dip tube is to--remove it for inspection. You will have to shut off the water supply to the heater, and remove the inlet piping. Dip tubes are usually easily removable using your finger to reach in and pull it out. Some are not so easy, I have a wooden dowel rod with a tapered end on it to help me in some cases. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aerator , blue , plumbing , sediment , turquoise