Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #1

Share |

turning the water off at a leaky faucet

So my wife just called me saying we have a leaking faucet in our spare bathroom. I told her to turn off the water, so it doesnt drip all day and night, since i wont be able to attempt a repair until tomorrow.

Stupid question:
Is there any problem with just turning the water off at that specific faucet if i leave it off for a day or so?

marmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #2

Nope. You should have individual valves for the hot and cold water lines in the vanity space, which can be turned off for the very purpose of maintenance, with no affect on anything else. The only other thing that you will want to do is make sure to check that these valves aren't then dripping. Since they are seldom used, it is not uncommon to have to LIGHTLY tighten the packing nut behind the handle once they have been operated.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
marmkid (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Nope. You should have individual valves for the hot and cold water lines in the vanity space, which can be turned off for the very purpose of maintenance, with no affect on anything else. The only other thing that you will want to do is make sure to check that these valves aren't then dripping. Since they are seldom used, it is not uncommon to have to LIGHTLY tighten the packing nut behind the handle once they have been operated.

awesome, thanks!

She said she turned off the cold water line, and the leak stopped, and the hot water still works.

Here's hoping i can find some time tomorrow to take a look at it
Old 07-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #4

Be aware with those stop valves you are going to replace the faucet. If you are going to leave the house with the faucet disconnected then shut off your main water supply to the house. Did a dishwasher a few weeks back with a friend. He had it already out when I got there and everything was good (valve was holding fine). We needed one stickin part, so off we went to the box store. Got a call from his wife that water was spraying everywhere. The valves insides decided to dismantle without warning. Like Dexter said, they don't get used much, so don't trust them too much. So, if you are leaving the house for a part or something else, better to shut the main and be safe than deal with The Great Flood of 2011.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #5

Would you recommend just keeping the water on, with it dripping until i can fix it? She noticed it today, and i wont be home to work on it until tomorrow afternoon. I had told her to just turn off the cold water line at the faucet to stop the drip, which left the hot water on.

She will be in and out of the house until then as well.

I'd rather avoid coming home to a flooded upstairs if possible . I always thought if you shut off the water at the faucet, you are pretty much fine and there isnt much pressure to cause any issues. I didnt realize that standard practice would be to shut off the water to the house, in these type of repairs.

Thanks!!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #6

If the faucet is still connected it'll be fine. If the valve goes, it will come out the faucet and go down the drain. I was just saying after/if you disconnect the faucet then the drain side won't be there anymore.

It's not standard to shut off the main, if you are there doing the repairs, there's no need. Difference was for me, we weren't there. Luckily his wife was and turned off the main when it blew.
marmkid (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
If the faucet is still connected it'll be fine. If the valve goes, it will come out the faucet and go down the drain. I was just saying after/if you disconnect the faucet then the drain side won't be there anymore.

It's not standard to shut off the main, if you are there doing the repairs, there's no need. Difference was for me, we weren't there. Luckily his wife was and turned off the main when it blew.

oh now i understand, thank you for explaining that. Yes, the faucet is still connected, and will be until i get to look at it tomorrow.

So if i take the whole thing apart to attempt to fix it, I shouldnt leave the house for hours at a time with it all apart without turning off the main.

Thanks again for the advice! This is the first time i have come to this site and it is incredibly helpful
Old 07-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmkid View Post
So if i take the whole thing apart to attempt to fix it, I shouldnt leave the house for hours at a time with it all apart without turning off the main.
Yep! Better safe than sorry...Best of luck with it!