Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Turning off water

Hi all,
I want to change the washer in my bathrooom mixer tap as it is leaking. I live in a flat with one otehr flat above me. I have located two stop cocks. One under my kitchen sink and one under the stairs. Unfortunately neither of them seem to stop the water in my bathroom. The one under the kitchen sink stops my kitchen cold tap (well it seems to it is hard to tell as the cold tap in the kitchen works as and when it pleases too).

Do I need to drain the water from the bathroom tap in addition to turning the water off - I have left the taps on in there but the water just keeps coming!

Where would be a good place to start in trying to work out how to turn off the water in my bathroom?

Thanks

RachelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Turning off water

You said "flat". Are you in a rented apartment? Your landlord should be responsible for repairing leaking plumbing.
In any case, each apartment may have separate plumbing and a main shut-off valve IF you're on separate water meters. Or, you can probably shut-off the water meter itself, if you don't have a separate main shut-off valve.
If you're all on a shared meter, then you may not have a main for just your apartment, the plumbing may all be connected, and if so, you will have to turn off the whole place and drain the apartment lines above you and your lines to repair the faucet.
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Turning off water

Does this building have a basement?? try there and look for a water meter where the water line enters the building. Do you have external meter readers on outside of building?? Follow the wire to the real meter(inside) Should be a main valve right before the meter. If its old and wore out and leaks past and only reduces flow,not stop all flow,,,then open enough faucets LOWER than the one worked on to take all that water. previous post was very accurate. Otherwise when all else fails have city or water system shut it off at the curb stop and replace both the shut off valve AND your faucet washer. Knowing where and HOW to turn off water in case of emergency is have to have knowledge!!
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote