Turning Gas Back On - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

Turning gas back on

Im having an issue with the gas meter. The gas company unlocked the meter but didn't check to make sure it was working correctly before they left! For some reason it is turned on but I'm still not getting gas to the house. Is their something else that need to be done to get the gas to work? When I looked at the meter it looks like the 2 large nuts at the top of the meter were also messed with cause they have makes in them like they were tampered with. The gas company people are morons and said if its turned on it should be working and didn't have a reason for y it was turned on and didn't make sure it was working properly and said it may take a few days to have someone check it out! Would appreciate it if someone had an answer to help me out..Thanks!

Advertisement

Jmartinez81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 608

Turning gas back on

They were suppost to check for leaks and make sure all the pilot lights were lit before leaving to cover there own butts.
It's going to take a while holding the pilot button to blead out all the air in the line. There's ony a few PSI of pressure so it will take about 5 min. before you smell gas.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,022

Turning gas back on

How do you know it isn't working?
Do you hear any hissing when gas range is turned on?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Turning gas back on

i would vent the house and call the gas company back.

is this a public utility?
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #5

Turning gas back on

I know their supposed to check but no one did which is why I asked them why it wasn't checked to begin with and she didn't have an answer just said they should have, and yes I checked the range And let it run for a couple minutes and nothing no hissing or ne thing! It looks like the large bolt nuts at the top where the lines come in and out of the meter were messed with cause their are wrench marks on them that weren't their before! Will that stop the gas flow if those are tightened Down more or something?
Old 09-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #6

Turning gas back on

It's a home... Called them back and said it could take a couple days to get back and the lady doesn't know what she's talking about ,just said well if it's on it should work and no they didn't touch ne thing else all they do is turn it off and on. But I know for a fact they messed with the top of it
Old 09-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #7

Turning gas back on

What state are you in?
I've called my state's Public Utility Commission and complained about my gas meter being too low in the ground (couldn't access the shut-off; buried) and my gas company not interested in moving it upwards (I was concerned about a fire situation where fireman couldn't shut off gas to house).
Within 2 hours I had two gas trucks out front to fix it.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
bbo

Turning gas back on

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
What state are you in?
I've called my state's Public Utility Commission and complained about my gas meter being too low in the ground (couldn't access the shut-off; buried) and my gas company not interested in moving it upwards (I was concerned about a fire situation where fireman couldn't shut off gas to house).
Within 2 hours I had two gas trucks out front to fix it.
yes I've seen them react as well very quickly.

When we were in the market for a house, we were looking at a house ( the one we ended up getting )

Wife noticed the meter outside was crooked like it had been hit by something ( mower?)

I called the gas company to ask if this was a concern on this house I was thinking of bidding on.

they called me back in a few hours to tell me the meter had been replaced. not even my house. amazing.

you never answered, is this a public utility or a private company?

Where are you located?

Call the Fire Department and ask them if they think its ok.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #9

Turning gas back on

I live in Florida, it's teco gas so a public utility
Old 09-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Turning gas back on

is the meter in the locked or open position and you need to vent the gas line of air from the furthest appliance...open all the stove tops burners till you smell gas....then shout off and lite one let it burn....don't worry you won't blow the kitchen windows out too much air mix within the kitchen
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #11

Turning gas back on

yea the meter is ON, turned burners on and left open for 5 mins but still nothing. I tried putting soap around outside of meter and loosened the nut and had gas coming into house and lit stove but was leaking outside at meter so turned off! Any idea why that would happen? Read on web that they sometimes turn the top to turn off? Thanks for all your help
Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #12

Turning gas back on

Take a picture of the meter so someone can advise. It doesn't sound safe what you are doing with the meter!!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #13

Turning gas back on

Why was your gas locked off? I'm just a "moron" that works for the gas utility, but I do know some tricks that we do to people that tamper with their locked off meters. When I get sent to do an unlock and relight, if the customer isn't home, it turns into an unlock only; the customer must then pay a gas fitter to turn their meter back on and do the relights (or do it themselves if they are knowledgable).

Are you sure the shut-off is in the open posution?If it was just locked off, there won't be air in the lines. If the meter swivels were undone, there shouldn't be much air. I relight the water heater first and fire up the main burner for a minute or two, you'll hear the air coming out as the flame gets distorted, then you can turn it back to its regular setting.

Good luck,

A moron from the Gas Utility.
hvac benny is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac benny For This Useful Post:
bbo (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
bbo

Turning gas back on

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac benny View Post
Why was your gas locked off? I'm just a "moron" that works for the gas utility, but I do know some tricks that we do to people that tamper with their locked off meters. When I get sent to do an unlock and relight, if the customer isn't home, it turns into an unlock only; the customer must then pay a gas fitter to turn their meter back on and do the relights (or do it themselves if they are knowledgable).

Are you sure the shut-off is in the open posution?If it was just locked off, there won't be air in the lines. If the meter swivels were undone, there shouldn't be much air. I relight the water heater first and fire up the main burner for a minute or two, you'll hear the air coming out as the flame gets distorted, then you can turn it back to its regular setting.

Good luck,

A moron from the Gas Utility.
I rely on the POCO morons since they know more than me when in comes to this ( i guess than makes me a moron - 1 )

I suspect we may not see a pic or that the POCO still thinks the meter is locked
Old 09-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #15

Turning gas back on

Lol. No the morons are the people in the call center that answer the phones. Their rude as hell and don't have a clue what their talking about! We didn't recieve a bill n the mail, apparently because we switched from email to paper. Even though the bill still wasn't due for 2 more days the lady actually told us, " we'll its up to the service guy to lock it early if he wants to if hes already n the area"!!! Wtf is that?!?! I'm not past due but they lock it early, then I'm home when it gets unlocked," a week after they locked it and it was paid," and they don't even check to c! But now it's Friday at 230 And still haven't been by to look at it yet! I can take a picture of it but it's just a standard meter with and inlet on one side of the top with the lever on the bottom and an outlet to the house on the other side, but yes I'm sure it's unlocked and open and the top of the meter where top inlet and outlet pipes fasten to the meter where adjusted. Is that what u mess with when the people aren't home? My wife was reading something that said u turn those a qtr turn,which I did and started getting gas through the line but the soap on the thread started bubbling so I closed it back, other than that it doesn't get ne thing flowing n the lines at all! I will send the pic if I need to just need to get to my computer can't seem to do it from my phone

Advertisement