DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Tub Surround, Painting, Durock or Greenboard, and Spacking Questions?

11K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jhomers 
#1 ·
Ok, bunch of questions for everyone:

1) Does anybody have any experience with aqua glass tub surrounds?
I have bought the TW78440A (Vista) Tub-Shower Wall Kit, here is a link with more info http://www.aquaglass.com/PDFs of literature/Wall Kits and Shower Kits.pdf

2) Are they fairly sturdy once installed?

3) I plan on doing the bottom half of the surround with durock and then the top half with greenboard, leaving me with room to paint above the surround. Is this the way to go?

4) Also when painting a bathroom do you use specific primer for areas that will get wet like inside the shower and close to the tub? I saw kilz latex with mildew protection, should I use that? I was planning on using the high gloss paint, for the area as it is more resistant to water.

5) When spackling the two boards together do I use normal joint compound or would another product be better?

Thank you so much for anyone who takes time out of their day to answer these questions, It is greatly appreciated. Also, I am sorry for the quantity of questions as I want to try to cover all of my bases.

See less See more
#3 ·
Regular drywall is better. Greenboard is not approved on ceilings unless the framing is 12 inches on center.

Prime, caulk and paint in that order and you will be fine. Not sure why the Durock behind the surround. Sounds like it is a one piece, not tile.

Normal compound is fine, but Setting type/hot mud is better. Hamiltions, USG or Wetpec make some.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Well, I have one more peice of greenboard to put up. Why can you not use it on ceilings?

I am doing the durock behind, because of its mold and mildew resistant qualities. Plus it is a 5 piece and they reccomend some type of backer for it.

What is the advantage of using Hot Mudd, is it more resistant to water or what? The reason I am asking is because I have a lot of SHEETROCK Joint compound that I would like to use, but if it come down to a couple extra dollars to do it right then I will.

Ron, Thanks for the feedback on the surround, makes me feel a lot better. Was it the five peice you had experience with?

#6 ·
Golfer, I just bought a similar surround... its almost identical, but the "tiles" are diamond shaped as opposed to square. I have to remove our current surround due to mold (the guy who installed it did not do so correctly - long story) and am hoping to save the current one that is the exact one you have there. Ours was installed 2 years ago, and still looks brand new and the shelves are VERY sturdy. I really like it, but am worried I will not be able to remove it without breaking it into pieces that's why we bought a new one. We wanted to get the same one, but they didn't have any more of them.

Anyway, if you want to compare notes (i am starting on my work next week) feel free to email me... andy@947hits.com

#8 ·
Ok, bunch of questions for everyone:

1) Does anybody have any experience with aqua glass tub surrounds?
I have bought the TW78440A (Vista) Tub-Shower Wall Kit, here is a link with more info http://www.aquaglass.com/PDFs of literature/Wall Kits and Shower Kits.pdf

2) Are they fairly sturdy once installed?

3) I plan on doing the bottom half of the surround with durock and then the top half with greenboard, leaving me with room to paint above the surround. Is this the way to go?

4) Also when painting a bathroom do you use specific primer for areas that will get wet like inside the shower and close to the tub? I saw kilz latex with mildew protection, should I use that? I was planning on using the high gloss paint, for the area as it is more resistant to water.

5) When spackling the two boards together do I use normal joint compound or would another product be better?

Thank you so much for anyone who takes time out of their day to answer these questions, It is greatly appreciated. Also, I am sorry for the quantity of questions as I want to try to cover all of my bases.
I have been my new house for 5+ years with my wife and on occasion each of my two adult sons has moved home for a short period of time..I have a one piece Aquq Glass tube and surround and was very dismayed when my wife discovered a crack in the tube below the water line for tube bathing...as she investigated further she was able to poke a hole in the tube side wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! needless to say the unit is warrented for 5 years and as I learned from the company website the expected life expectancy for their products is 10 years.....my last house was approx 50 years old and still had its original tube.....If I only knew 5 years ago what I know now...A request e-mail to Aqua Glass pleading for help has sofar gone without reply for 2 days
jhomers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.