Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2010, 11:30 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Tub spout woes...

First time homeowner here - plumbing adventure #1 replacing new shower head revealed decreased shower power due (presumably) to cruddy diverter in tub spout that lead to adventure #2. Unfortunately most hardware is polished brass which seems to be unpopular and hard to find a replacement to.

I tried to replace diverter, but it seemed not to move smoothly, so I attempted to clean out build-up. Diverter still does not fully divert (any possibly may be worse!) and I think I just need to replace the whole thing as I think corrosion of the outlet may be partially to blame.

I found out that the original was a Kohler gp85555 model that apparently no longer is made in polished brass. It is 5.5" long IPS with diverter of course. Although I am not particularly fond of the color, I had been told that replacing all the hardware to a new color, including the temperature control faceplate was over my head.

Any suggestions on how to find a replacement that has the same fit without having to adjust the length of the pipe (which protrudes 4" from the tile wall). Thanks so much.

snozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:17 AM   #2

Tub spout woes...

Third handle diverters are just another valve with a washer and seat. If any part of that is damaged or worn, it will leak. Take a close look at the seat for kicks or corrosion.

New shower heads have flow restrictors(your government at work), that reduce flow and often pressure. It is a washer type thing with a small hole in it that can usually be removed.

Check with Kohler direct. They may still have the parts you seek in brass.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

Tub spout woes...

I recently went on the Internet and ordered two polished brass tub diverter spouts for my bathrooms just like you are describing. Don't remember where I ordered them from or what brand name they were, but it was easy to find them. It doesn't have to be the same brand. Just Google them.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote