Tub Spout Kit Install Questions - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2011, 05:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

tub spout kit install questions

Hey all.

I installed my bathtub the other day, but I have a couple of questions.
The kit I used was Moen, a single lever with a mixer valve.
The lever doesn't go up or down just around in a circle.

When I turned the water back on, the lever was in the off (down) position, but the water was pouring out of the spout. It was hot water. When I turned the lever around halfway (pointing up) the water turned off. from there, if I turn the lever left, I get cold water only, and right I get hot water only.
I assume something is in the wrong position. The piece that the lever attaches to is capsule-shaped, so there are two ways it can go. I'm assuming I attached it upside down, but hot and cold water coming out separately made it seem like it wasn't "mixing".

Also, the spout and the lever are showing about an inch of stem. With the spout it is that short piece of 1/2" pipe. I can take that out and replace it with a shorter one.
The mixer valve is already behind the tub surround, but I attached the pipes (PEX) flush against the back of the wall, so they couldn't be moved farther back. The valve itself has a sleeve that goes over it that a couple of spocket like pieces attach to and then the lever is attached last. I guess I could cut an inch off that sleeve, if it doesn't have to be that long for a reason.

Anybody have these answers?

In addition, the tub and the toilet both have caulking around the bottom as an instruction, but a plumber I know told me never to do that because it will conceal a leak that I should find as soon as possible.
Opinions?

Thanks

Advertisement

wengang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tub gets caulked, toilet-NO.

Yes it sounds like you have the faucet lever/guts installed wrong. Get the instructions out of the trash and redo it correctly.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

Don't modify any of the trim pieces in your moen trim. If you install it according to the instructions it should all work. Whats the model #?
As for the toilet caulk, its an age old argument. Some people do and some don't. I do. And I believe it is required per UPC that fixtures be caulked to their mounting surface
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

You have problems with Moen...try installing Rubinet! What a joke. Why people insist on believing that the more expensive it is, the better it is. ..OR "Its Eurpopean!" I can't wait until the cartridge fails.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote