DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

tub piping

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  TheEplumber 
#1 ·
My house was built in 55. and i was in the basement looking up at the tub piping. is that like cast iron piping? if so how would you connect cast iron to pvc? for example if my tub was replace and my drain pipe is cast iron. or is it steel? metal?

#2 ·
Chances are that your tub drain is galvanized iron. Does it appear to thread together or are there hub-type joints where one sticks into another with no threads? The latter would be cast iron. Cast will usually be black (or rusty), and looks rather pitted and rough. Galvanized will usually be silvery color and smoother.

Once we figure out what you've got, we can tell you how to deal with it. A picture sure wouldn't hurt.

#4 ·
well the thing is that i removed my tub to install a new one which im buying today. but my drain and trap is still there obviously. my new tub should be hooked up with pvc right? so what type of connector would i need to connect the two pipes?

#6 ·
Help?

Since I have a similar type question, I'll just pick up where he left off, and maybe you can help us both. I believe I have the galvanized. I'll try to post a picture of the original piping and the hole in the floor. The metal overflow and boot piping connected together, and that basically just fit over the drain pipe coming from the floor. I don't know if it was originally glued or what, but it wasn't screwed in. It came up pretty easily. I was planning on just buying one of the kits that is usually PVC. what type of connection will I need to connect to that metal drain pipe coming from the floor, and how do I go about doing this?

Attachments

#9 ·
Good---copper drains and no barrel trap.

I can't tell if there is a compression nut holding the old drain set into the P-trap.

If it was my job I would cut back enough concrete to replace the P trap with PVC--

However you might get lucky and be able to get the old P trap to work.

Let's see what one of the plumbers has to say---Mike---

#10 ·
I would knock out more concrete take the ptrap out and put in a new abs line you can use a fernco to tie into the old piping they will expand to fit over old cast, or threaded pipe, plus the drain on your new tub may not line up exactly and so hence install a new p-trap.

We use Abs out here you may be required to use PVC there.

#11 ·
Ok, if I were to go with the existing trap, and the new tub lined up, how would I go about connecting it to PVC? If I decide to cut and replace as suggested, what would be the ideal way to cut that pipe and can I get the Fernco at a big box? How do those work exactly? Do they just slide over and clamp down?

#12 ·
If you use existing trap and sch. 40 pvc waste and overflow- get a copper x plastic fernco to adapt to existing stub.
If you remove the trap- adapt to the trap arm with a cast iron x plastic fernco. Trap should be sch. 40 solvent weld type.
I don't recommend a tubular waste and overflow assembly.
I wish you luck. This is one of the tougher DIY plumbing projects. It will try your patience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.