Tub Install - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tub install

Had a tub installed buy a contractor he did not pull a permit or use a Plummer ...my question is the tub is creaking and making noises ...what is suppose to be under the tub mortor ? Plaster? I have called the town inspector and he found other problems but the tub wasn't really making a lot of noise so I didn't say anything ...it's been 3 weeks and it's a lot worse...so I'm calling him but need to know what I should ask him to look for ....thanks

Advertisement

fbull66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 678

Tub install

No good way to know without knowing the material, brand and model # of the tub.
Some come with built in supports, some need morter under them, a few new ones come with what looks like a hard foam shipping block under them that stays attached to support it. Still other's needed to be supported on the back and sides with 2 X 4's.

I'll make a guess, when he shows up he will suggest just using expanding foam under it. Let us know if that's what he says.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (08-16-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 374

Tub install

Back in the day we used to mix up five gallons of plaster and dump a big blob and place the tub on it. Lately I've been using expanding foam. It seems to work fine. No complaints yet.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #4

Tub install

Well I can go to home depot and get the info off the box ...and call them and find out if there was some crap stuck to the bottom...but does it sound like there's nothing there ... Cause of the noises?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #5

Tub install

Spray foam will do it ? It seems like it falls part if you play with it ..
Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tub install

Spray foam will probably help, however, be sure you use the foam for windows and doors!!! If you try to use the high-expanding gap-filling foam, you could cause all kinds of unwanted problems!

DM
Old 08-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #7

Tub install

Problem is the bathroom is finished...
Old 08-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Tub install

I don't really know what the inspector is going to do for you.....

It is the homeowner's responsibility to make sure that the people doing the work are licensed and bonded...If someone tells you that you don't need a permit, or if their estimate doesn't include fees for a permit, call your building department office and ASK.

That said if your area requires a permit for this job, the inspector isn't really going to look at the base of the tub from my personal experience. He's going to make sure that it's secured properly, and he's going to make sure that it's full of water and not leaking.

Who bought the tub? Did he read the directions?

I'd just call him and tell him that you're not happy with the job he did, and the tub floor is moving. It sounds to me like it needs more support otherwise over time it could end up cracking.

If you bought the tub, though, i'm betting that he's going to tell you that he didn't buy the piece of junk.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #9

Tub install

Hes a contractor ...and installed it ..so I'm basically screwed...he's allready screamed and yelled at me cause I've told him and his oxen to be careful that they scratched the **** out of my new floor they put in ...so he won't listen ..Just great... ..
Old 08-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

Tub install

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbull66 View Post
Hes a contractor ...and installed it ..so I'm basically screwed...he's allready screamed and yelled at me cause I've told him and his oxen to be careful that they scratched the **** out of my new floor they put in ...so he won't listen ..Just great... ..
I hate these kind of contractors. They take work from me and give contractors a bad name in the process. I wonder if your license board knows of him?
Probably best to distance yourself from him and cut your loses.
Get us some info on the tub. We'll walk you through this.
Some where on this forum is a lengthy discussion about this very issue.
Perhaps a thread search will help.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #11

Tub install

So glad I found this thread. I'm posting here for the same reason. I remodeled my bathroom a year ago and the plumber installed my Kohler acrylic tub without, apparently, mortaring or including the foam pad that came with it.

I noticed the creaking on my first use, but by then removing and reinstalling wasn't an option (the tub went in first and all the tilework, flooring, doors, etc., was built around it).

He came back six times, opened a hole under the tub from my garage below and put in can after can of expanding foam. It would work for a day or two, then break down. So here I am a year later and the creaking is worse than ever.

Short of having to rip out the tub, what are my repair options? Most of the answers I've seen in other forums relate only to the original installation.
Lemonleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,604

Tub install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonleen View Post
So glad I found this thread. I'm posting here for the same reason. I remodeled my bathroom a year ago and the plumber installed my Kohler acrylic tub without, apparently, mortaring or including the foam pad that came with it.

I noticed the creaking on my first use, but by then removing and reinstalling wasn't an option (the tub went in first and all the tilework, flooring, doors, etc., was built around it).

He came back six times, opened a hole under the tub from my garage below and put in can after can of expanding foam. It would work for a day or two, then break down. So here I am a year later and the creaking is worse than ever.

Short of having to rip out the tub, what are my repair options? Most of the answers I've seen in other forums relate only to the original installation.
sorry to hear of your problem...if the installer came back 6 times with no good out come...safe to say ...he dosen't know what he is doing or the install was just that bad.....you could try the threat approch...ask for some of your money back to leave him off the hook to have tub reinstalled.....or you will have it installed and photo it as it is removed and installed and you will see him in court.......ben sr

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote