Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2006, 11:05 AM   #1

Share |

Tub is gone in house...how much should I expect to pay?

I'm in the process of buying a house and I found a house I like, BUT it was vandalized by the pervious owner because it went into foreclosure. Along with several other things, he ripped the tub out of the bathroom and damaged the walls, tile, etc...

How much do you guys think it will cost to fix this?
Attached Thumbnails
Tub is gone in house...how much should I expect to pay?-lilly-lane...destroyed-pics-009.jpg   Tub is gone in house...how much should I expect to pay?-lilly-lane...destroyed-pics-010.jpg  

ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
They're all fixer-uppers

Tub is gone in house...how much should I expect to pay?

What am I looking at? That looks like a tub alcove for some reason finished with regular drywall and a recepticle box right behind it??? The guy might have done you a favor by riping it out.

Anyway, sounds like if you have a vandal on your hands you're looking at pretty much a complete remodel. What size is the bathroom? Are you gonna hire someone to do it or try and do it yourself? Hiring someone to do it can cost you as much as $12,000 for a moderate size room. Looks like you might have some issues to repair there as well. Plus, bathroom remodling is like a domino, once you start replacing ANYTHING you'll end up with new EVERYTHING. You aren't going to be able to talk yourself into keeping your old toiletpaper holder after you start going new... just the way it is.

My best advice for you is this - before you do ANYTHING, hire the best home inspector you can find. Tell them ahead of time what they are up against - a forclosee who went mad-max on the place, so they can plan the extra time. Let the inspector go through everything. The real problem with some of these disgruntled former owners is that they sometimes are not only destructive, but evil and maliscious too. They might do things sometimes that poses safety hazards to you or anyone else who lives there. The home inspector who did my house told me a story about a guy who tried to run "live" power to the cold water handle in the bathroom sink....

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote