Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #1

Share |

Tub to floor transition

Hi guys, looking for any suggestions for this problem...

Where my tub meets my tile floor the tub edge is unsupported. The tub itself is set in foam but the outside edge does not rest directly on the floor since I installed the tile after the tub was in. There is barely a gap between the floor and tub, maybe 1/32" to 1/16" at the most. Anyways, the tub material is flexible so if you put any pressure on it, it bows in. Ideally I would like to get something behind this tub edge so it is firm but there is no access to the underside of the tub other than drilling holes in the floor from the basement. I thought about spray foam but if I overdo it's going to bow the side of the tub out permanently.

So I have 2 questions:

1. How would you recommend I handle the situation of the unsupported tub edge?

2. What could I use as a transition between the tub edge and the flooring - such as a molding? I would imagine something that could adhere to both the tub and tile might kill 2 birds with one stone.

Thanks for your help.

Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #2

Tub to floor transition

Can you post a photo?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #3

Tub to floor transition

You could put a row of trim tiles on the floor tiles, and caulk the joint between the tub and the trim tiles. Wasn't the tub set on the subfloor, and the floor tiles laid up to that edge, so the tub edge would be below the surface of the floor tiles?
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #4

Tub to floor transition

The tub edge was originally set on the old subfloor which I removed when I decided to do tile. The tile brought the floor just about back to its original thickness so the tub edge is just above the tile by no more than 1/16" at its highest point.

I was thinking about trim tiles but I didn't know how well it would work out. How do you get them to adhere to the glazed top of the floor tiles and is caulk going to be strong enough the stabilize the edge of the tub if it gets inadvertently kicked? I'm afraid that if there is any movement in the tub the trim tile joints will crack.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #5

Tub to floor transition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post

The tub edge was originally set on the old subfloor which I removed when I decided to do tile.
Thanks.
Is the tub resting on any subfloor?

Which way do the floor joists run?

Do they run parrallel to the tub front or perpendicular to the front of the tub?

What was the subfloor material that you removed? Planks or plywood?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #6

Tub to floor transition

Quote:
Is the tub resting on any subfloor?
The tub basin is set in foam (Great Stuff) supported by a plywood subfloor. Only the outside edge of the tub is unsupported.

Quote:
Which way do the floor joists run?
The floor joists run parallel to the tub.

Quote:
What was the subfloor material that you removed? Planks or plywood?
The material I removed was a layer of particle board on top of the plywood which was used as an underlayment for vinyl flooring and it extended just about an inch under the edge of the tub. The original bathroom subfloor (plywood) is still fully intact beneath the tub, tile and tile backer.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:19 PM   #7

Tub to floor transition

Is there an access panel where the shower faucet is?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #8

Tub to floor transition

No access panel to the faucet. There is a triangular cutout in the plywood subfloor where the drain comes into the basement but doesn't seem like enough room to do much with.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:13 PM   #9

Tub to floor transition

I found this thread:

tub/floor transition

Something like that would work provided I could securely adhere it to both the tub and tile, and that I could find it in a store. Any thoughts on that idea?
Old 01-17-2008, 05:40 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Tub to floor transition

For future reference. The tub is typically installed on the sub floor, the you tile up to it. That way the small gap between the tile and the tub is simply filled with grout and you're good to go.

In this case I'd look into trim tiles.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:31 AM   #11

Tub to floor transition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
For future reference. The tub is typically installed on the sub floor, the you tile up to it. That way the small gap between the tile and the tub is simply filled with grout and you're good to go.
Isn't that gap typically filled with CAULK not grout? I'd worry that the grout would crack because the tub is possibly going to move when filled and stood in.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #12

Tub to floor transition

You could use 1/4 round. Drill a pilot hole before you nail into the 1/4 round. Only place a nail where the grout line is.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #13

Tub to floor transition

Quote:
For future reference. The tub is typically installed on the sub floor, the you tile up to it.
Actually, a plumber installed the tub/shower surround while the vinyl floor/underlayment was still intact. Putting in a tile floor was an afterthought so when I ripped out the underlayment the tub edge was above the remaining subfloor by about 5/8".

What was originally supposed to be a tub install turned into a complete DIY bathroom remodel.

Quote:
You could use 1/4 round. Drill a pilot hole before you nail into the 1/4 round. Only place a nail where the grout line is.
I wouldn't want to use wood 1/4 round for obvious reasons. Wouldn't a decent adhesive caulk work for adhering some kind of trim to both the tub and tile?
Old 01-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Tub to floor transition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHanson View Post
Isn't that gap typically filled with CAULK not grout? I'd worry that the grout would crack because the tub is possibly going to move when filled and stood in.
If the tub is properly installed it will not crack. Some people may use caulk but it isn't going to look right and isn't the correct way to do it.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #15

Tub to floor transition

Ok. I assumed that since you have to caulk around the top of the tub (between wall tile and tub lip) that you also had to caulk between floor tile and tub.

I guess if the tub moves though, the floor should move with it, since both are on the subfloor.