Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #1

Share |

Tub fixtures sticking out from the wall

This isn't a 100% DIY question since the work was performed by contractors but being the curious type I'd like to know what I'm dealing with prior to trying to get them to fix it under a warranty. And if I ever run into it again it would be nice to know so I can try to fix it myself.

Anyhow - roommate was cleaning the tub last night when a tile popped loose under the cover for the mixing valve for the tub. This morning while I was in the tile popped all the way off and the whole assembly came forward 1/2" or so (see pictures.) Something obviously wasn't done correctly (or there are bigger issues?) and I don't know enough about the stuff to really know what the underlying problems are.

Last edited by cellophane; 04-09-2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: images
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #2

It looks like they didn't secure the mixing valve. Do you have access from the other side?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
It looks like they didn't secure the mixing valve. Do you have access from the other side?
the otherside is a stairwell with a sloped ceiling. in theory, yes, there is access from the other side. in reality i'm not sure how it all lines up or how much drywall / plaster repair there would be (original house is plaster & wood lathe.)
Old 04-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #4

make them fix it. go thru tile side of sower and if need be have them retile that fixture wall
Old 04-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #5

thanks for the info & advice. is there a way to protect or at least try to protect the inside of the wall until everything is fixed? this is the only shower in the house and the thought of not showering doesn't really appeal to me.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
remodeling pro

I agree with 47 47, they obviously did not secure the mixing valve for starters. Secondly, you may as well go through the tile, as it seem there is a problem with it also. It should not have popped off the wall that easily. Makes me suspect tha they used mastic to glue tile onto sheetrock. It should be glued to a cementous backer board with thin set. Sheetrock is a gauranteed failure in a wet area; and don't let them win the argument that they used "waterproof green board".
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #7

The backer is cement board and i'm pretty sure it was thinset - but I'll ask. The whole bathroom was gutted after purchase so the board is new. From what I could tell the valve was pushing on the tile itself which is why it popped. Someone somewhere didn't do their job correctly, probably a few people...