Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #1

Share |

Tub filler restrictions diverts to shower head on its own

I am sure I know the sad truth, but wanted confirmation. I've been using PEX throughout my building process. I use these drop ears so I can have a solid mounting point for the chrome nipples, etc. They've served me great thus far. When I roughed in the tub, and water tested it all seemed well. Now that it is all closed up, I found an issue. When I turn the water on, as it approaches full pressure max hot & cold combined, water works its way up to the showerhead. As I pass the max zone and go more hot than cold it dissipates, but still trickles out. If I remove the tub filler and only use a nipple the problem reduces about 99.9%. Basically I can see a little water dribbling. So my conclusion is I have too much restriction for the water pressure. My spider valve dumps strait down 1/2 PEX to a drop ear (pictured). So the only restriction to flow is the drop ear, and the plastic diverter at the end of the tub filler. Based on my test without filler, I can only assume the combination of the two is enough to cause issue.

It's not a big enough issue to open the finished wall and try and swap the PEX to copper at this time. My only other thought was to try and back down the supply valve to reduce the pressure?

yogi_bear_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi_bear_79 View Post
I am sure I know the sad truth, but wanted confirmation. I've been using PEX throughout my building process. I use these drop ears so I can have a solid mounting point for the chrome nipples, etc. They've served me great thus far. When I roughed in the tub, and water tested it all seemed well. Now that it is all closed up, I found an issue. When I turn the water on, as it approaches full pressure max hot & cold combined, water works its way up to the showerhead. As I pass the max zone and go more hot than cold it dissipates, but still trickles out. If I remove the tub filler and only use a nipple the problem reduces about 99.9%. Basically I can see a little water dribbling. So my conclusion is I have too much restriction for the water pressure. My spider valve dumps strait down 1/2 PEX to a drop ear (pictured). So the only restriction to flow is the drop ear, and the plastic diverter at the end of the tub filler. Based on my test without filler, I can only assume the combination of the two is enough to cause issue.

It's not a big enough issue to open the finished wall and try and swap the PEX to copper at this time. My only other thought was to try and back down the supply valve to reduce the pressure?

did you install access door... and what is the measurement from center of diverter or spider valve as you call it to center of tub filler...make of faucet would help too..

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #3

Sounds to me like you installed the valve itself upside down. (you have the tub spout outlet going to shower head and the shower head outlet going to the tub spout) I have seen this before and that is exactly what happens when the valve is installed upside down
#1plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #1plumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #4

#1plumber i have done that before
it also could be due to the fact that pex connection are reduced since they go inside off pipe and creating back pressure you could for now just put on a shower head on off ball valve accessory chromed
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #5

hey guys maybe Igetting old...don't install requirments say from center of diverter to center of tubfiller is min 6" or you will have dribble from shower head
Old 03-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #6

also what is a spider valve?

or i could say if you have a spider valve "name of guitar amp." hooked in to you tub you might get electrocuted
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
also what is a spider valve?

or i could say if you have a spider valve "name of guitar amp." hooked in to you tub you might get electrocuted
don't have a clue what a spider valve is ....Iam sure op does..
Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
don't have a clue what a spider valve is ....Iam sure op does..
maybe spider is a box store brand- maybe a knock off of Glacier Bay
Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #9

my real guess is the name the op gave it because they don't know the real name taking bets...
Old 03-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
hey guys maybe Igetting old...don't install requirments say from center of diverter to center of tubfiller is min 6" or you will have dribble from shower head
I don't recall this as the reason, though may very well be. I always spread them out so the trim plate would miss the spout.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I don't recall this as the reason, though may very well be. I always spread them out so the trim plate would miss the spout.
will have to look at the next install instructions to confirm this......
Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #12

Center of diverter to center of filler is 9".

Brand Moen

It's not upside down, they actually have it marked UP.

Sorry about the terminology, that was what I was taught they were called around these parts!
The Following User Says Thank You to yogi_bear_79 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #13

ok thanks for the info...has to be something in diverter or that pex setup you have..
Old 03-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #14

When the diverter was first roughed in we couldn't get it to turn off. Basically the filler kept leaking water. Moen sent a replacement cartridge right away. They said it was common in new construction (debris was the blame). Never saw any debris but ok. Anyway, new cartridge solved issue. Subsequent tests with just nipples were good. I have used these drop ears a lot without issue, of course this is the only tub/shower though. Oh well, it will be that way till I get tired of it.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #15

Yogi I say your first assumption is correct. I too learned the hard way. If you read EVERY word in the mix valve installation insructions I'm SURE it says NOT to use pex or pex fittings from diverter to tub spout. Pex and its fittings cause just enough restriction to cause diversion to the shower head. You can prove this by removing the tub spout, turning on the water and putting your thumb on the nipple to block the flow. Water diverts fine to the shower head. The only fix for this is to remove the pex. and, from now on take a sec to read the directions. I do this on every job now.

Bob Veela is offline   Reply With Quote