Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

tub drains slow new construction

Contractor thinks there is probably tile grout in the line. How do I remove? What else should I suspect and how to remedy?
Thanks!

clibertyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Unless YOU did the tile grout, I would have it removed by contractor.
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #3

Thanks Mike!
Un happily I am having no luck in getting the builder to come back to take care of ANY of my issues on the house. Many phone calls, many promises, no action. I have given up on ever seeing him again. I am pretty good with tools and so have been able to take care of most of my problems. Can you offer any suggestions? I planning to snake the drain this weekend to try to bring up some "white stuff" as a possible confirmation of the specualtion about grout in the line. If I see evidence I'm hoping you can suggest how I might proceed. Again, Thank You!
Old 03-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by clibertyusa View Post
Thanks Mike!
Un happily I am having no luck in getting the builder to come back to take care of ANY of my issues on the house. Many phone calls, many promises, no action. I have given up on ever seeing him again. I am pretty good with tools and so have been able to take care of most of my problems. Can you offer any suggestions? I planning to snake the drain this weekend to try to bring up some "white stuff" as a possible confirmation of the specualtion about grout in the line. If I see evidence I'm hoping you can suggest how I might proceed. Again, Thank You!
I would stay in pursuit of the contractor on this. It is probably going to require changing the trap beneath the tub to correct properly.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:27 AM   #5
Long-Time DIYer

Make a list of all your problems encountered with the new home and the steps that YOU have taken to correct them since the builder has not. Consult an attorney.
Send it to the builder with a cover letter requesting that he correct this (and any other) problem that you can identify now. If he fails to respond again within a reasonable time period, file a complaint with your state licensing board for contractors and with the real estate commission, if the builder is also a licensed real estate broker, and the local Building Inspection Department, Better Business Bureau, etc.
In my opinion, there is no excuse for a building contractor to ignore legitimate problems with new construction that they have sold.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #6

Hi Mike!
Again, thank you for your response and encouragement. I have thought about writing letters and seeing attorneys - I am so reluctant to "go that route ... ." Frankly, having to deal with someone that I have legally "forced" to return to my home and do work is so distasteful that I would rather try to fix things myself. I'm sure you know the feelings I describe. My house is on a slab so replacing the trap on the tub would be a distant last resort. There must be something I can try to at least "improve the drain time?
Again,Thank You very much!
Bob