Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2008, 12:32 AM   #1

Share |

tub drains and makes annoying gurgle even when closed

I have a brand new tub that was installed by a professional plumber last year when a I had a contractor build me a new bathroom. I immediately noticed the tub made a draining noise even when the shut off valve is closed. it is a very slow drain so there is minimal loss of water, but it is quite annoying as it just doesn't stop. i initially had my plumber come back to look at it and he blew it off and said he wasn't sure why it was making the noise, but he installed everything properly and adjusted the chain? behind the tub wall to make sure it was the right length.

I let it go, not a big deal since we don't take baths very often. well that has changed and now my daughter is taking baths all the time and I cant figure it out.

here is some of a description of what I have and some of what i have found:
brand new kohler fiberglass/plastic? tub, with some super fancy fixture...not a home depot special...I only started using the shower/tub Nov 2006.
I have found that the water drains consistantly when the tub is on the full side full. sometimes it slows or stops on its own when the tub is quarter full.
I can get the drain to stop draining completely if I cover the drain with a towel....ie I have confirmed it is not related to the overflow drain or poorly screwed in flange or anything like that.
I cleaned out the drain of tons of hair recently but as I stated I called back the plumber almost immediately after I first started using it.
when the water is lower, I can sometimes get the draining to slow by fiddling with the lever, as in moving it to the midway point.

I am wondering if it has to do with a bad stopper? poorly installed stopper...maybe something that can be easily replaced? or hopefully not something that would require significant work.

Any suggestions on how I can do this myself is appreciated.

ttatonkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
Master Plumber

Quote:
I am wondering if it has to do with a bad stopper? poorly installed stopper...maybe something that can be easily replaced? or hopefully not something that would require significant work.
That would be my guess

jpplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
ihms683

in stall a inline vent i have install alot of them for slow toilets and tub s iwhen tub is full and it drains out of tub at drain adjust stopper rod on stopper sometimes there is asmall rubber o ring it may be bad or missing

Last edited by lwoodring; 02-23-2008 at 10:09 AM.
lwoodring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #4

How do I know if it is a bad stopper? or do I just call Kohler to have them send out a replacement?

And as far as an inline vent??? Not sure what that is or if that is something I can or want to do. What is involved? It sounds like I would need to cut into walls or floors....
Old 02-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
Long-Time DIYer

It sounds like your problem is that the brass "barrel" (on the bottom end of the trip-lever linkage in the overflow) is not sealing properly. That "barrel" is what seals down into the tub drain line to stop up the tub drain. (When the trip-lever is tripped by pulling up on it, it drops the barrel down to "plug" the tub drain line, in other words.)
That sealing problem could be from gunk or hair in the drain line or gunk on the barrel itself holding the barrel up, or that it is just adjusted too short. The linkage includes small threaded rods and holding nuts for adjusting the length.
Remove the two face bolts on the overflow, and wiggle, lift and pull up and out on the faceplate and attached linkage. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get it all out. Clean off, sand and lube (WD-40 works) the barrel, and lube the linkage.
Use a good enzyme-based drain cleaner like DrainCare on the drain lines. It won't harm the tub or plumbing at all, but it eat out all organic gunk, hair, etc. overnight. To use it, you just run a little warm water down the drain, pour in the recommended amount of DrainCare and let it eat overnight, and then you flush it all down with very hot water the next day. I always start that flushing with a kettle of boiling water.
Good Luck!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 02-23-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #6

I adjusted the stopper a few millimeter this morning and filled the tub half way, I only heard a few gurgles. i plan to fill the tub later today and will get back to you if the issue is resolved.

I guess I assumed the plumber would have done this in the first place.....oh well.

I'll get back when I know more.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
Long-Time DIYer

Absolutley yes, the plumber SHOULD have done it in the first place when it was installed. If the stopper linkage needed adjusting, it should have been done right then.
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote