Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2010, 12:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

tub drain questions

I am planning the install of a tub where there was only a shower before.
1. While shopping for the drain and overflow assembly I find 3 different types. One uses a footlok stopper, another has a triplock mechanism and a third one uses a cable to control the stopper. Pros/cons of these choices?

2. The business end of the tub is against an outside wall so no access to plumbing after the tub is in place. Any tips/tricks for installing the tub and drain?
Thanks

deejclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

tub drain questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejclow View Post
I am planning the install of a tub where there was only a shower before.
1. While shopping for the drain and overflow assembly I find 3 different types. One uses a footlok stopper, another has a triplock mechanism and a third one uses a cable to control the stopper. Pros/cons of these choices?

2. The business end of the tub is against an outside wall so no access to plumbing after the tub is in place. Any tips/tricks for installing the tub and drain?
Thanks
1. The foot stopper things usually look kind of cheap, to me. Plus they drain slow because of the spring mechanism obstructing the drain.

The trip-waste is the most common - They're tried and true, but can be hard to adjust properly and the assembly can get clogged with hair over time.

The cable type drain assemblies (IMHO) operate better than the others, and there's nothing past the plunger to catch hair and clog.

2. Your best bet is to get a fiberglass or acrylic tub with a removable front apron that will give you access to the drain assembly for installation/service.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #3

tub drain questions

Already have tub. It's one of those triangular corner whirlpool types No access panel near the drain. Access panel on front side to get to pump.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

tub drain questions

toe taps are junk.a brass tub waste is expensive but well worth it
rudolph58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #5

tub drain questions

OK Sounds like brass triplock wins in terms of quality simplicity..

I saw this post from Plumbdoc to a similar thread. I think that answers my second question.
"you are gonna have to build the waste and overflow out of ABS or PVC on the tub then after glue sets pull it off of tub then set trap in the ground for the waste and overflow and last thing you do is set the tub back in and reconnect drain and overflow. A lot easier said than done. "
"

Last edited by deejclow; 01-27-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Answered by other thread