DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   tub drain question (

typo 04-20-2010 01:51 PM

tub drain question
I recently moved into a house in october and realized that the bath room tub was missing a strainer or even the cross hair that a strainer would mount to. It seems the previous owner either cut or broke off the x shape that is in a normal tub drain that would prevent large objects from running down the drain. I went to lowes and they suggested replacing the whole drain, which i am un prepared to do. Do they make something that can be snapped into the drain to prevent large objects like wash cloths and whatnot from being sucked down the drain?

DangerMouse 04-20-2010 02:32 PM

The wife found little wire 'baskets' that drop into the drain openings to catch hair, etc. She got a large one for the tub, and a smaller one for the sink so she doesn't lose a contact down the drain.
They look like little hats kind of.... upside down.
Available at local supermarkets, hardware stores, bigbox, etc. Hope it helps!


typo 04-20-2010 03:41 PM

looking for something thats non removable since my children use this tub. i seen the ones your talking about thou.

DangerMouse 04-20-2010 03:54 PM

You MIGHT be able to unscrew the drain that is there easily and simply screw on a new one.


typo 04-20-2010 03:58 PM

the tub is a fiberglass tub so i'm not sure how to even attempt to unscrew it.. Since theres nothing to really grip and the back and underside of the tub is enclosed

DangerMouse 04-20-2010 04:05 PM

If it were me, I'd likely just grab my vise-grips and peel up an edge and unscrew it that way. It may have silicone under it as well, so I'd be sure to remove every speck of the old before adding new, but that's just me....
Other opinions here may vary by location, local codes and mental stability. Po)


Alan 04-20-2010 10:22 PM

Yeah, the 'cross' that you're talking about is there in order to install and remove that fitting. :eek:

If it's gone... well, it's going to be tough, and scary to remove it.

Risk of damaging fiberglass = moderate to high

The easiest option would be to go below, and cut the pipe going to the fitting that your 'strainer' screws into, and see if you can spin the pipe below enough to be able to get it loose. (leave enough room on both sides for a coupler to put it back together with)

DM's suggestion will work, but those things are usually pretty thick, and you might have a hard time bending it without gouging the fiberglass.

You can try cutting the metal out of the lower fitting using a hacksaw or a sawzall, but you'll probably ruin the lower fitting (you should be able to buy a new one) and if you're not careful, you could hit the fiberglass and really mess it up.

Those are my ideas. Good luck. :thumbup:

Edit : Unless they make an EZ-out that size.... you might get it out with that. That would actually be the easiest.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1