Tub Drain Placement Questions - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tub drain placement questions

I'm in the middle of remodeling our second floor bathroom. Currently I'm in the process of trying to move drain. The tub we choose is the American Standard Cambridge tub (no whirlpool) and I plan on using the American Standard Deep Soak Drain.

According to the tub's installation sheet the center of the drain should be 1" from the wall. I dry assembled some ABS pipe and could only get it about 2" from the wall. Since ABS is somewhat flexible, is this close enough for what I'm doing?

Here are photos I took of the drain:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67715783@N04/

Link to install specs:
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/a...nstall_348.pdf

Link to deep soak drain:
http://www.faucetdirect.com/american...f-tubs=p575179

Thanks

-Kevin

Advertisement

diynct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Quote:
According to the tub's installation sheet the center of the drain should be 1" from the wall.
No it's not. It is 8" (eight inches) from the wall. Look at the plan again. No tub drain is one inch from a wall that I know of.

Quote:
Since ABS is somewhat flexible,
No it's not. There may be some slight play in the fittings before final assembly but there is no flex in the pipe to amount to anything so don't count on that.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #3

The hole in the bottom of the tub is 8" from the wall. Doesn't that attach to the deep soak drain. Isn't the drain I need to install before the tub arrives the black dot in the diagram that's 1" from the wall?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,630

Quote:
Originally Posted by diynct View Post
The hole in the bottom of the tub is 8" from the wall. Doesn't that attach to the deep soak drain. Isn't the drain I need to install before the tub arrives the black dot in the diagram that's 1" from the wall?
You need to adjust your p trap to make 1" work. You also need to replace the vent tee with a wye and turn it so the flow pattern is the same as the drain. Also, move to the joist so you can swing the trap to 1". Do not attempt to flex ABS pipe. Its not designed for that.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #5

Quote:
You need to adjust your p trap to make 1" work. You also need to replace the vent tee with a wye and turn it so the flow pattern is the same as the drain. Also, move to the joist so you can swing the trap to 1". Do not attempt to flex ABS pipe. Its not designed for that.
I'm not quite sure I follow. I put in a wye connector and the p trap is still too far from the wall without. What do you mean by move to the joist?
Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,630

Quote:
Originally Posted by diynct View Post
I'm not quite sure I follow. I put in a wye connector and the p trap is still too far from the wall without. What do you mean by move to the joist?
Sorry, I was listening to my wife, watching football and posting at the same time
Replace the tee with a wye. (move it downstream toward the joist) The branch of the wye will connect to the 90 at the vent-turn the vent's 90 to line up with the branch, add a 45 or 22 if needed. Now you have room to add a 22 after the wye to offset your trap so you can make the 1" deminsion.
Hope thats a little clearer.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Sorry, I was listening to my wife, watching football and posting at the same time
Replace the tee with a wye. (move it downstream toward the joist) The branch of the wye will connect to the 90 at the vent-turn the vent's 90 to line up with the branch, add a 45 or 22 if needed. Now you have room to add a 22 after the wye to offset your trap so you can make the 1" deminsion.
Hope thats a little clearer.
I'm a plumber and I even had to read that twice. (2 rum and cokes)

Edit : For my local code (any i'd assume) that tee is backwards anyway.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
Plumb or Die!

Rewards Points: 250

Look closer. The 1" dimension is from the framing to the tiled wall finish. See the expanded drawing of the framing, shim, drywall and tile. The measurement your looking for is insignificant. The back of the overflow pipe will touch or almost touch the bottom plate of your stud wall. Get the tub in place with the drain installed before you worry too much about where the p-trap is. It'll be way easier to pipe to something that's actually there.
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber666 View Post
Look closer. The 1" dimension is from the framing to the tiled wall finish. See the expanded drawing of the framing, shim, drywall and tile. The measurement your looking for is insignificant. The back of the overflow pipe will touch or almost touch the bottom plate of your stud wall. Get the tub in place with the drain installed before you worry too much about where the p-trap is. It'll be way easier to pipe to something that's actually there.
That's how we do them. Attach drain to tub. Measure for final placement of p-trap. Set p-trap, attach waste/overflow assembly to p-trap at the proper elevation. Set tub. Attach waste/overflow assembly to tub.

This setting the p-trap before you even have the tub in front of you is a nice concept, and I would love to do it every time, but they just don't give you the dimensions you need in their rough in diagram.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Get the tub in place with the drain installed before you worry too much about where the p-trap is. It'll be way easier to pipe to something that's actually there.
I thought of going this route but was worried there was a chance I'd need to access to the right of the joist (where I'm about to lay 2 layers of plywood). However after seeing TheEPlumber's advice it looks like worst case I'll just need to add a 22.

Thanks again for the advice.

Advertisement