Tub Drain/overflow Help! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Tub drain/overflow help!

I got a pvc tub drain/overflow w/ pop-up for my whirlpool. I have a sch.40 p-trap with trap adapter so I can tighten the tailpiece with the compression nut. The drain/overflow won't fit so I was going to go with a sch. 40 kit with the popup. My question is if I go this route would I just glue the tailpiece into the p-trap?

Advertisement

MikeVila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Tub drain/overflow help!

Yes, its called hard trapping and all joints will be glue joints.

Advertisement

zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #3

Tub drain/overflow help!

Thank you sir! Is there another way to do it with sch40 and slip/compression fitting? Would you glue it to the waste T of the waste/overflow pipe and then when you set the whirlpool in place just line it up and drop it down in the trap with the glue on it? I thought I saw somewhere that had slip fittings for the tailpiece but maybe it was brass or something?
Old 11-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #4

Tub drain/overflow help!

I would not use any compression fittings, they tend to leak and cause clogs, i would use all glue fittings. They sell waste and overflow kits that are all schedule 40. simply have the drain in place (1"1/2 or 2"pvc), set tub, level. when all is level and set where you will like the tube, get some plumbers putty and push metal drain in place, take threaded female shoe(the 90) that is in kit and thread on to metalic drain from bottom of tub.(pipe dope wouldn't hurt on metal threads, you might need someone to put pressure on metal drain while you thread 90 on the bottom of tub, thread as much as possible, not all is neccasary, you can finish tightening when all the connections are glued.). Now simply aim the 90 towards the pipe you are using for drain. take measurment from inside the 90 to the front of pipe, subtract 1", cut the pipe to size, glue in to 90. know line up the 90 with pipe in it towards the drain. take the fitting you are using(2"x1"1/2x1"1x2 tee for a 2" drain or a 1"1x2 tee for a 1"1x2 drain pipe) eye it up with the pipe coming from the 90, and cut drain down to size. this is where it will get kind of hard. You will have to glue all respective joints at one time and manuever the pipes into place, some brut strength will be needed, but not to much that you will crack the pipes. after connections made you will have to plumb vertically from your tee to the overflow, if drain is not centered to your overflow hole, some offset fitting will be needed 45's or 22's, make sure to plumb the overflow snug to the back of tube, also make sure you go back and tighten shoe of tub so that the plumbers putty oozes out this should also give you proper grade from tub to tee. It sounds hard but just use some commen sense and you will be fine.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #5

Tub drain/overflow help!

I bought a sch40 kit and got it all cut and fit to size. When I go to set my whirlpool in place how will I glue a tailpiece between the waste t out of the tub drain and the P trap? Just gonna have to set tub and use some force to fit the tailpiece in between the two to glue? If you understand what i'm asking. Thx man.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #6

Tub drain/overflow help!

Did you mean between the tee and 90? the p-trap should be in the sub-floor. if you did mean the Tee and 90, after everything has glue on it(work fast, the glue can set fast on you) set the tee and 90 with pipe in it(the pipe should already be glued into 90) at and angle so that the pipe just starts to enter the tee, you will see that the pipe will not enter fully beacause the space between the 90 and tee is so tight, thats where muscles come in or a nice rubber malet,simply use force on the tee until pipe is completly slipped into joint. after, you might want to mop some glue around that joint and bottom of tee. I would wait 45min to an hour then fill tub up with water and drain and inspect fpr leaks
Old 11-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #7

Tub drain/overflow help!

Sorry if i'm not comprehending. I know the trap will be below subfloor. Are you saying to glue the tailpiece to the waste/overflow T and then lift and set the tub in (with glue on bottom of tailpiece) and drop it into the trap?
I will probably do a couple dryfits and such so I want to make sure I don't screw it up when I go to glue everything to the trap.

Advertisement