Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #1

Share |

Tub drain leak?

The past weekend, a 12" x 12" section of my kitchen ceiling became saturated with water. The damage was caused by a tub drain in my second floor bathroom. When I removed the drain, I discovered there was only plumbers putty around half of the drain.

Today, I purchased a new drain to replace the previous one, which is only a few years old. For safety's sake I decided to remove and inspect the shoe gasket. What I discovered was a shoe gasket that had plumbers putty about half way around on one side of it. The shoe gasket is about 3/16" thick. What I can't understand is why there was plumbers putty on it. I'm assuming that's not standard practice.

That leads me to believe that it was either a mistake or some moron used plumbers putty to makeup for a gasket that was too thin. The house is new construction and is only about 2 1/2 years old. After surveying the drywall damage, it was clearly a slow leak that had taken some time to come through the ceiling.

How do I tell what thickness shoe gasket I need? Should I simply clean off and reinstall the shoe gasket or purchase a new one?

Thanks,
Kelly

Last edited by kcrossley2; 01-18-2010 at 08:36 PM.
kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #2

Tub drain leak?

Did someone own the house before you? If someone lived there before you sounds like they maybe discovered the leak and tried to fix it themselves.

I'm not sure about the gasket. I would get a new one if you have it apart. I'm sure theres some people who will respond on here that will be able to help you alittle better with that part

You said that it became saturated this weekend. By any chance, did you have a bath or pour one but didn't take it?
I had the same thing happen a few years ago when a flood happened from one apartment down into the next. I couldn't figure it out, tried evething to find out where the leak was coming from. Nothing I could do would make that tub leak again.
I had to have a plumber come in. He almost new immediatly what the problem was, the gasket your talking about. He said maybe it had dried out or somthing along that line. ( the unit had been vacant for a while before the new tenants moved in.) The tenats had been there for almost 6 months and showered every day. What he said is, it may have dripped some before that night but not much. What happened that night was she had filled the tub for a bath and that's when it because a big problem. Sure enough we plugged the drain filled the tub and the water started to flow.
willowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Do something

Tub drain leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley2 View Post
The past weekend, a 12" x 12" section of my kitchen ceiling became saturated with water. The damage was caused by a tub drain in my second floor bathroom. When I removed the drain, I discovered there was only plumbers putty around half of the drain.

Today, I purchased a new drain to replace the previous one, which is only a few years old. For safety's sake I decided to remove and inspect the shoe gasket. What I discovered was a shoe gasket that had plumbers putty about half way around on one side of it. The shoe gasket is about 3/16" thick. What I can't understand is why there was plumbers putty on it. I'm assuming that's not standard practice.

That leads me to believe that it was either a mistake or some moron used plumbers putty to makeup for a gasket that was too thin. The house is new construction and is only about 2 1/2 years old. After surveying the drywall damage, it was clearly a slow leak that had taken some time to come through the ceiling.

How do I tell what thickness shoe gasket I need? Should I simply clean off and reinstall the shoe gasket or purchase a new one?

Thanks,
Kelly
Hi Kelly,

The plumbers putty came from the underside of the waste/drain (where it meets the tub). I would install a new gasket, new putty. Glue it, check for leaks. Makes sure to get rid of all the wet sheetrock (it will become moldy). You cam get a new gasket or whole kit a a local plumbing supply house such as Ferguson's.
D'Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #4

Tub drain leak?

Thanks guys.

First owner. New construction. Only about 2 1/2 years old. I can install a new bath shoe gasket, but if plumbers putty is suppose to go between the shoe gasket and the bottom of the tub, I don't have enough room to make that happen. I could always go with a thicker gasket if that's the problem. BTW, I only thought plumbers putty was suppose to go between the drain and the tub from the top.

The other weird thing is I tried to clean the putters putty off of the existing shoe gasket with 409 and when I looked at my cloth it was black, like the gasket was disintegrating. I wonder if something is structurally wrong with the gasket. I tried 409 on the new gasket and nothing came off. Unfortunately, the gasket that's packaged with the drain is much too thin, so I'll need to get a thicker one from HD or Lowes.

Kelly
kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote