Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
Homeowner handyman

Share |

Tub Drain Installation

Getting ready to put a new tub in and would appreciate advice on the following topics.

1). The brass pipe that connects the drain to the waste shoe under the tub is connected to the drain pipe by a rubber seal and a brass coupling. The instructions state to hand tight only. After doing this I noticed that the pipe slides in and out of the coupling. This doesn't seem to be a good seal and am concerned that water will leak from this coupling when the tub is draining. Is this normal in drain systems? If not how to fix?

2). After I install the tub, are there any tricks/tips to getting the seal installed that goes inbetween the underside of the tub and the drain shoe?

Thanks for any help

HanDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:44 AM   #2

Tub Drain Installation

1. there is a plastic or rubber washer that goes on the pipe after the nut. That will seal things up just fine.
2. Tricky for one person, another pair of hands is better. But I never have a helper, so I usually snug up the shoe then screw in the nut from the top of the tub. Can be frustrating sometimes.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Man of many hats

Tub Drain Installation

I slip the rubber drain seal in from the top after the tub is in place. It takes a little manipulation, but there is usually enough play to get it in. Just be careful to not let it fall to the side.