Trying To Understand Water Softener - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Trying to understand water softener

I am trying to understand water softeners, my moms house is on well water and she has RENTED a water softener for years. I never payed to much attention to it, how they work or to the fact that she has been paying rent on it for a very long time,in till recently because shes having a hard time affording it now. So I just learned about the water hardness being measured in grains which I have no idea what hers is, going to get a kit and test it. What I'm confused about now is the regeneration every so many days, does water actually go into the tank that holds the salt? For many years she had just one unit, container whatever you want to call it, then several years ago they brought a second unit the same size as the first one and I think they are connected. One has salt in it and one has a tube that goes into a gallon size bottle that I think is supposed to have clorox ? in it and then another tube comes out of the unit and drains in to the utility sink and it dosen't seem like she gets a salt delivery very often?

Advertisement

BellaMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 708

Trying to understand water softener

A photo of the set up would help in what type of equipment is in use right now.

Here is some thing that shown up in the way of explaining what the softener does.
Most of us drive a car or truck and while driving we have radio on and the air on, at night there is also the lights and even the wipers from time to time.
Now all of the above items use the battery and to keep the battery up the alternator runs from time to time to charge the battery.
Now the softener is like the battery , in that it can go X number of gallons depending on water quality and the amount of media in the tank and the salt setting(algebra math). When the softener has reached the X gallons it will clean and recharge with the salt brine.

Clear as mud?

Advertisement

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote