Trying To Understand My Well Pump Setup - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trying to understand my well pump setup

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a better understanding of my well water pump. I've attached a photo of it. I know what the water softener is, as I dumped tons of pellets into it monthly My question is what are the two large tanks for? One is off to the left and has a pvc pipe running to it. I can't tell if that tank has another pipe running out of it going elsewhere. And the other large tank is in line with the water softener. I assume it's some type of reserve?

Questions:

1. What are the two tanks for?
2. Do either of these tanks need any sort of maintenance?
3. With what you see in this plumbing, do my outdoors water faucets get softened water or normal well water? (I mean, am I wasting all my softened water on plants?)

Thank you kindly
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to understand my well pump setup-image.jpg  

Advertisement

chamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 548

The larger tank on the left is a pressure tank so the pump doesn't have to run every time, and the entire time, you are running water.

Small one on the right...(the rest of this sentence is my best guess )...is part of the water softener??...or a filter....maybe.

There's no way to tell by that picture if the outside water is softened. If your pump is installed like we used to, then it's not...but other people/companies may do it differently.

Advertisement

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,572

Look like the one on the right is a filter then a water softener. The one on the left is the pressure tank for the system.

I can't tell from the images where you outside faucets connect into the system. Any pipes before the large square white tank are not softened.

Last edited by joed; 06-14-2013 at 01:22 PM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Some water softeners have a charge tank that is what yours has. Google water softners
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 718

at least the floors clean around that setup

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

The shorter "Well Mate" tank on the left is your pressure tank for your well. It stores water under pressure that empties as you use it until the pump kicks on to refill it. The tank to the right is the water softener tank. your well water runs through it and the beads inside "clean" the minerals out of the water. When the water softener recycles, it takes water from the other hopper (where you dump salt pellets) and uses that salt water to flush the minerals off of the beads in the taller tank. They are then ready to cleanse your well water once again. Not much to maintain until something fails. When your water softener reaches a point where it no longer "cleans" the minerals fromm the water, then you may need to replace the "beads". If all of your piping comes off of the water line past the water softener, then yes, you are watering plants with soft water. Normal practice, around here at least, is to plumb a by-pass around the water softener. Doesn't look like you have that set up.

Advertisement

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote