Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trying to level a bathtub! Please help!

Hi I am new to bathroom renovations so I am not sure what to do here. We live in an older home with wood floors that are not level. I am renovating our bathroom and I am trying to reinstall the tub but I cannot get it level. The floors are out a fair bit in this house. The tub is fibreglass and the feet on the tub are not cut straight. I am not sure if the feet are supposed to be cut on an angle or if someone modified them prior. Either way I am having a lot of trouble getting it level. If I get it level front to back it's out side to side and vice versa. I am not sure if I should pour a self levelling concrete and cut the legs straight or what I should do. I am also wondering if I need to install a new sub floor first. The sub is 5/8 plywood but its old. Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks,

Lost (Michael)

dukester544600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukester544600 View Post
Hi I am new to bathroom renovations so I am not sure what to do here. We live in an older home with wood floors that are not level. I am renovating our bathroom and I am trying to reinstall the tub but I cannot get it level. The floors are out a fair bit in this house. The tub is fibreglass and the feet on the tub are not cut straight. I am not sure if the feet are supposed to be cut on an angle or if someone modified them prior. Either way I am having a lot of trouble getting it level. If I get it level front to back it's out side to side and vice versa. I am not sure if I should pour a self levelling concrete and cut the legs straight or what I should do. I am also wondering if I need to install a new sub floor first. The sub is 5/8 plywood but its old. Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks,

Lost (Michael)
Two things need to be level. The edge that sits on the floor and the side that sits on the ledger on the wall. Set the ledger in the correct position on the wall and rest the tub edge on the ledger. With the floor unlevel, it's possible only one edge of the apron front is touching the floor. Shim the tub so it doesn't flex on the edge that's off the floor. Fine tune the shims to get it where you want it. Then decide how you'll level off the edge and supporting the tub bottom. You can use plaster or thinset to support the base and leveling compound for the edge and the rest of the floor if you want.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #3

Thanks Ron, The tub is manufactured by american standard, the feet on tub are all cut at different angles. Is this normal? I know the front feet are shorter than the back to acheive the slope of the tub but I dont think they should be cut a different angles, or should they?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 524

Describing the type of tub would be helpful to others. Like is it an alcove design with walls on 3 sides and a front apron to the floor? Or a drop-in tub? Pictures would be the ultimate so others can help.

It seems to me that any tub would be designed to be installed on a perfectly flat and level floor. Using that as your base, you could not go wrong.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #5

sorry yes it is an alcove, it is made by American standard and it has an integrated front which is none removable so shimming the back is impossible because there is no way to get back the back legs with the exception of cutting a hole in the drywall in the adjacent room to access the rear legs. Also all the legs are cut at different angles which is making it difficult to shim. I don't know if the legs come like that or if someone cut the previously but either way it is making it a very difficult job. I attached a link to the tub on the American standard website. Thanks for the help. The model is a 1753.

http://www.americanstandard.ca/produ...f-361ddcf3e59f
Old 03-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

According to the link it has a removable access panel.

Last edited by VIPlumber; 03-14-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Buying the first round

Rewards Points: 75

What model tub is it? is it the Acrylux?
Old 03-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks Ron, The tub is manufactured by american standard, the feet on tub are all cut at different angles. Is this normal? I know the front feet are shorter than the back to acheive the slope of the tub but I dont think they should be cut a different angles, or should they?
I'm not familiar with the tub. I've put in fiberglass tubs with plywood bases and cast iron tubs with stumpy little legs(all the same size) 'Never seen what you describe.
Did you buy this new from a reputable supplier?
Ron
Old 03-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #9

It's an American standard; I will attach a link to the tub website. The tub was here when we moved in but I removed it to install insulation and vapour barrier on an exterior wall and I cannot get it level. There is 4 feet on the bottom of the tub. The two in front are shorter which is correct but all four are cut at different angles. If you think of a shim and the taper of it, that is how the legs are cut.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #10

It does say it has a removable access panel but it does not. It is a one piece tub. Once it is in the wall the only way to get into level it is to lift the front of the tub and try and stick your hand under there and stick the shims under the feet.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #11

That model is also available in a whirlpool tub so I think that one is equipped the removeable panel. The tub I have is just a standard tub.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #12

Quote:
It's an American standard; I will attach a link to the tub website. The tub was here when we moved in but I removed it to install insulation and vapour barrier on an exterior wall and I cannot get it level. There is 4 feet on the bottom of the tub. The two in front are shorter which is correct but all four are cut at different angles. If you think of a shim and the taper of it, that is how the legs are cut.

Did you follow the instructions on the website as to how to install the tub?
Ron
Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #13

Welcome to the forum, Michael!

Please do not start the same post in 3 different forums again, very confusing.....

This one should work for you.

Gary
Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,024

Getting the front edge even with the floor and the back edge even with the wall and also all the feet underneath the middle touching the subfloor at the same time is going to be trial and error unless you cut open the ceiling from below and can see everything and install shims as needed.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #15

Ok thanks I just was not sure where to start it so thats why I put in the different ones. Sorry if I caused any problems.

Michael,