Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #1

Share |

trying to install faucet, but old pipes causing problem

hi, sorry for this very beginner question...

i tried to install a faucet today in my kitchen, and the pipes that supply my water under the sink are directly plumbed under the sink -- there are no shutoff valves, just pipes. So, the supply lines that came with the faucet do not fit onto the pipes. The pipes have male threads, and so do the faucet lines.

having said all that, i do not want to cut the pipes and install shutoff valves. i just need a quick fix here. should i just buy the braided steel supply pipes with females at each end? or is there something much simpler/smaller, like an adapter of some kind that i can use?

thanks!!

19mquinn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #2

Quote:
should i just buy the braided steel supply pipes with females at each end?
Sounds like your best bet for a 'quick fix'. While you have the water off though, why not consider getting a threaded shut-off in there?

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VIPlumber For This Useful Post:
Alan (08-15-2011), plumberinlaw (08-15-2011), TheEplumber (08-14-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
Sounds like your best bet for a 'quick fix'. While you have the water off though, why not consider getting a threaded shut-off in there?
do you think a beginner like me could handle that? any soldering involved? keep in mind the pipes come up to just about 8 inches under the counter.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19mquinn79 View Post
do you think a beginner like me could handle that? any soldering involved? keep in mind the pipes come up to just about 8 inches under the counter.
It will be tight but try a 1/2"MIP x 3/8" angle stop on your supply riser. Then attach braided stainless steel flex lines (1/2 x 3/8) to your faucet supplies. Use a back up wrench whenever possible, especially if your faucet has flexible supply lines.
Just reread your post. If you have copper lines, cut them off a few inches above the floor, clean any dirt and such off the pipe and use 5/8 comp x 3/8 straight stops and longer supplies. Pretty straight forward job.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
It will be tight but try a 1/2"MIP x 3/8" angle stop on your supply riser. Then attach braided stainless steel flex lines (1/2 x 3/8) to your faucet supplies. Use a back up wrench whenever possible, especially if your faucet has flexible supply lines.
Just reread your post. If you have copper lines, cut them off a few inches above the floor, clean any dirt and such off the pipe and use 5/8 comp x 3/8 straight stops and longer supplies. Pretty straight forward job.
thanks for your help! i am a total novice however...when you say to cut the pipe and then use the 5/8 comp x 3/8 straight stops, that would involve some soldering, right? or is there a way around that?
Old 08-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19mquinn79 View Post
thanks for your help! i am a total novice however...when you say to cut the pipe and then use the 5/8 comp x 3/8 straight stops, that would involve some soldering, right? or is there a way around that?
This is a compression angle valve. A straight stop is just a different valve pattern- it is not a right angle as shown. Slide the parts on as shown and tighten the nut onto the valve body. A hardware store carries them they will show you the steps to assemble it too.
Attached Images

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote