Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Trying to Drain Hot Water Heater

The drain valve on my hot water heater is leaking and from everything I have read, I need to drain my hot water heater. I have followed the instructions, but when I lift the relief valve, the water comes out of the relief valve discharge line instead of the drain valve. What am I doing wrong???

rdreyer35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Have you shut the power supply and cold water supply off to the water heater?
Do you have a water hose attached to the bottom drain valve and is the valve opened?
Have you turned on the hot faucet(s) of your bathtub(s) to relieve pressure and allow air back into the lines (tubs also have no aerator on the faucet to clog later)?
Have you opened all hot water faucets to allow air into the lines to allow them to drain, which is the only reason to open the T&P relief valve at the top of the heater.
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #3

Thank you for your response!!
Yes, I turned off the cold water supply, turned on all of the hot water faucets. Nothing happens until I lift the relief valve and then water comes out of the relief valve discharge line. I just went in and turned on the cold water in one bathroom, and it turned on the hot water in all the bathrooms. Is my plumbing funky?? The house was built in '51 and there was an addition added. Regardless, nothing more than a trickle of water will come out of the drain valve and I did notice that when I switched off the cold water supply, the drip coming from the drain valve stopped.
rdreyer35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #4

There might be sand, rust, or other stuff down at the bottomof the tank keeping water from flowing out easily.

It is tricky getting it clear. You could try turning off the water heater cold feed, opening a hot water faucet somewhere, and conneting a garden hose to the tank drain and try to force water in the wrong way and stir up the sand or sediment. Then take off the hose and see if the water drains back out better.

Once ou do get the water draiing, let enough out so most of the sand etc. comes out and the water runs clear.

Turn on the cold feed and make sure water is flowing from an open hot faucet somewhere before turning the burner or electricity back on.