Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #1

Share |

Trouble with Oatey Tile Shower Drain

I am building a tile shower in our master bathroom. The framing is done. I am trying to plumb in the p-trap under the Oatey drain I received with the Goof-proof shower kit (pre-pitch sticks, etc). I notice there is no way to bolt this drain to the new 3/4" plywood subfloor. They also do not tell you whether the drain sits flat on the subfloor or whether it sits on the four protruding "knobs" which house the clamp down bolt threads. By the look of the slim end on the pre-pitch kit, it can sit directly on the subfloor with the knobs through the plumbing hole. I am asking if that drain just sits there until the mortar bed or tile bed holds it in, or if you're supposed to caulk it to the subfloor. I would also like to know does the drain sit directly on the subfloor, or on those four knobs? I know the p-trap directly under the drain must be perfectly level for drain to sit correctly. I am pulling my hair out! Help!!

eric woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
DIY staff

Trouble with Oatey Tile Shower Drain

Those do not need to be screwed to the floor---the mud pack will hold it just fine---and yes--get that thing level or your tile setting will be a nightmare---

I have a link to building a mud shower base--that might answer a question or two--How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

eric woodall (05-15-2013)