Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #1

Share |

Trimming old pipe, adding compression fitting

Hi everyone,

So I have a plan of attack on some DIY work, but never having done any plumbing before I just wanted to run this by someone before going out and doing it and wrecking anything.

I just bought a new dishwasher and I'm replacing the old dishwasher in my house which is about 60 years old. The pipe that ran to the old dishwasher ran from the basement all the way up to the kitchen and then through to behind the dishwasher with no disconnection points. It's just one long pipe. I'm not a huge fan of how this has been done, so what I'd like to do now is get a tube cutter (I saw one for about $15 in home depot) and trim the 1/2" copper pipe under the sink. Next I would install a compression fitting with a valve on it so I could disconnect it in the future. Finally I would put the new dishwasher 6' hose onto the new compression fitting. I have plumber's tape and I'm going to be very careful.

I think this seems reasonable because then if there is a leak, I'll be able to see it really easily under the sink as opposed to behind the dishwasher where I won't be able to go. My wife pointed out to me that, not being a plumber, there might be a reason that this was plumbed like this, so any advice would be great.

Thanks everyone for your help in advance.
Chris.

Chris84948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
DIY staff

You are describing a typical 1950s/1960s set up----lousy way to do things because you can't shut off the water to the unit without going into the basement---

If you could post a picture of the under sink piping --someone will help with exact instruction for your situation---

In the mean time---you need a tubing cutter---really cheap ones wobble and often give you trouble----

Compression fittings do not need teflon tape---just metal against metal----the brass ferrule 'seats' into the valve when the nut is tightened----tape can screw that up----

What you are proposing is fairly simple work---go for it----

Old 10-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #3

Only hard part about the whole job will be soldering a cap on the old line.
There may be a simpler way to do this.
We still have not seen a picture yet so this is just a guess.
You could cut the pipe and just slide on of these on the same pipe.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...EE68A3&first=1

No soldering or tools other then the pipe cutter needed.

I would use a stainless steel braded supply line made just for dishwashers to make the connection.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #4

Joe, that's exactly what I had in mind. I didn't plan on soldering anything. Just cutting the existing pipe to a shorter length and putting one of the compression fittings in like the one you linked me to.

Mike, thanks for the advice, it's good to hear it's not too unreasonable, my wife thinks I'm crazy. I won't be posting a picture because I'm at work now, but the only follow up question I would have is what kind of price range of cutter should I look at. I saw some for about $20 at home depot.
Chris84948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
DIY staff

I like Rigid---and have many others that work well----just stay away from the real cheap-o's

A poor cutter will not track straight and you will find you are cutting a spiral set of threads instead of the blade staying in the original cut---no need to break the bank---just stay away from the $5.00 handyman specials---

Tags
compression, cutting, fitting, pipe, plumbing