Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Trapping a floor drain

Floor drains are a small PITA, as the trap can dry and let sewer gasses into the house. OK, a quart of water every year or two will fix that. However, is there a code-compliant and intelligent way to trap a floor drain in a more permanent manner? Why not trap the floor drain as is normally done, and then install another trap right below where the trap ties into the building drain? In my case, the floor drains are only a few feet away from the building drain. The worst that could happen this way is that the floor drain trap dries up and you get any odors from the pipes between the floor drain and the next trap up the line. Is this a practical solution? Thanks.

Last edited by jklingel; 11-19-2012 at 11:43 AM.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 44

Trapping a floor drain

a code compliant method is to use a trap primer setup. These are installed on all new/remodel floor drains. They can be piped from another fixtures tailpiece, toilet bowl or a special valve connected to the CW piping. I suggest google "trap primer".
Here is a link to a waterless primer system. Never used it but it might be good for an existing floor drain
http://energizecorp.com/products-pag...n-trap-sealer/

Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #3

Trapping a floor drain

Eplumber: Thanks very much. I will have to think about how to install a line in concrete and yet get to it for replacement; maybe just running it through a larger ABS pipe and having the drain in a box will suffice. Are you familiar w/ these gizmos? http://www.canplasplumbing.com/plumb...categoryID=867
Or these? http://www.trapguard.com/
The present house, built in '80, has cast iron pipe and covers, so I don't think either of these would work here. The new house will have something more adaptable/adjustable.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 20

Trapping a floor drain

Years ago I had a house with a floor drain that never saw any use. It would dry out and smell. An old timer told me to pour a cup of vegetable oil into the drain. It stays on top of the water and prevents it from drying out.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 44

Trapping a floor drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
Eplumber: Thanks very much. I will have to think about how to install a line in concrete and yet get to it for replacement; maybe just running it through a larger ABS pipe and having the drain in a box will suffice. Are you familiar w/ these gizmos? http://www.canplasplumbing.com/plumb...categoryID=867
Or these? http://www.trapguard.com/
The present house, built in '80, has cast iron pipe and covers, so I don't think either of these would work here. The new house will have something more adaptable/adjustable.
I've never used these types but the camplas product should work in a cast iron drain. The image shows that it just pushes into the drain outlet.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #6

Trapping a floor drain

eplumber: that is what it looked like, but i figured that was too easy and i was missing something. I'll give them another look.
rj; yes, i have heard of the oil trick, and to use mineral oil as it won't turn rancid like veggie oil. i'll try a gallon of 75-90W gear lube. kidding. a quarter cup of veggie oil and wash it out when it gets stinky. the dogs will know it is getting ripe long before i will. thanks for the suggestion.