Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Trapped Air?

Last weekend when I drained the water heater everything went well. As the tank was reaching the full mark during refill, and I had a sink hot water valve open, the system made a loud bang and the water flow in the open faucet slowed way down. The flow in that faucet, hot side only, is still way slow. The other hot water sources are great now that I did the drain. There is one other hot water source that is affected is the laundry room hot water.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

bcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Building and plumbing

Trapped Air?

OK, this is simple. When you drain down a water heater and then refill, you should always turn on the hot faucet, this lets out all the air trapped within the tank. Thats what the loud bang was. Why is the water slow? Because you probably forgot to remove the assembly off the end of the faucet. What happens is as the water comes through the tap, it first passed a disk which has very small holes in it, this reduces the water flow. Next it passes through a screen which breaks up the stream into tiny bubbles so you get that "Softer" water flow. Rust or sediment has gotten into these holes. Simply unscrew the end of the tap off, then dispose of all the workings keeping the screen. next run the hot tap for a few moments so as to flush the line of debris, then re install the cap with just the screen. Should be fine. next time simply remove the end of the tap before filling the water heater so the debris can run out, or use the hot tap on the tub as there is no restrictions there. Not the shower, just the tub.

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #3

Trapped Air?

You can also open the T&P valve on the tank.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
Building and plumbing

Trapped Air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
You can also open the T&P valve on the tank.
Not a good idea. I used to do this and sometimes still do, but I was informed that sometimes when you pop off the T&P valve it does not want to seat back and will drip.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #5

Trapped Air?

I was under the impression that you were supposed to open the T & P valve every year or so to make sure that it wasn't stuck so if you open it and it won't completely reseat maybe it needs to be replaced?
davefoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
Building and plumbing

Trapped Air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
I was under the impression that you were supposed to open the T & P valve every year or so to make sure that it wasn't stuck so if you open it and it won't completely reseat maybe it needs to be replaced?
I had not thought of that. i am going to check on it and see what I am told on this
Old 01-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Trapped Air?

The T&P valve isn't something you should play with on a regular basis but it's fine to opening it every year or so to fill the heater. If it starts leaking it needed replacement. Better find out it's shot as soon as the problem starts then find 20 gallons of water on the floor when you get home from work one day.

This is one of those things that if you ask ten people half are going to say open it, and half are going to say not to.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
I blame ProWallGuy

Trapped Air?

Read the tag the manufacturer puts on the T&P. It has test instructions on it.

As for your reduced flow, you have something that broke loose and moved into the hot stem or the spout of your laundry tub faucet.

Pull the aerator and/or the hot stem and fish it out.

Double A is offline   Reply With Quote