DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Trap Seal Primer

8K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Alan 
#1 ·
I had a leak in the wall and when i cut the wall open i found the leak was being caused by my "MIFAB" continous flow Trap Seal Primer. I cut it out took it with me to the plumbing supply, which is where i learned what it was and what it was for. Once i installed the new one which was threaded and i used shark bite conenctors the Trap seal primer still leaked and sprayed water threw the side air holes. Please tell me how i fix this problem, is this thing suppose to shoot water out the side?

#2 ·
is it 100% level?

It should be 1000000% level in all directions.

The holes in the side are basically an atmospheric vacuum breaker. If there is pressure in the drain line, it will not contaminate the water system, it will come out of those holes first.

The ones that i've installed are adjustable. Can you turn down the amount of water that is being discharged? It doesn't take much water to keep a trap primed.

#3 ·
how am i checking the level of the primer exacly? Keeping in mind it is installed i cant rest a level on top of it. Apon leveling the primer that will stop the water from coming out the holes?

The only time the primeer leakes is when the washer is calling for water. Wile it is washing or off there is no problems. As for controling the amount of water all i can control s the On/Off Hot and Cold water supply control.

#4 ·
Can't you put a level on the side of it? If it is out of level, the water will run out of the holes instead of down into the discharge line.

I don't see what turning the hot and cold to the washing machine has to do with your trap primer.

These devices work based on a pressure differential in the system. They put water into the trap when the system has a pressure loss.

So like i said you either have the thing out of level, or there is a back pressure or blockage in the line, OR if it's an adjustable primer, it's dumping too much water and splashing out.

Take your primer off, and try to dump water into the copper line going into the concrete. See if it takes the water. If not, try stuffing a piece of wire thru it to see where the blockage is and if you can deblockify it.

Post a picture of your setup if none of this makes sense, or call a plumber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.