Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #1

Share |

Trap on main sewer line?

After hurricane sandy destroyed my basement with backed up sewer water, we decided to put a backwater valve on our main sewer line. Our main sewer lines comes into the house about 2' below our basement floor, and is accessible in a "pit" near the front of my house. Coming into my house I have a 4" cast iron pipe, which then attaches to a double trap ( it has two clean outs) then there is a tee which goes to a vent. the vent and everything after that is PVC. I have been told that plumbing codes no longer require traps on the main sewer line by some plumbers, others tell me I need one. I am located in Staten Island, NY. I would be very happy if I was not required to have one, because I could take out the trap and Put in the backwater valve. If I need the trap then that means a LOT of breaking of cement. Any advice on how to proceed? Should I take out the trap? The house is about 15 years old. There are no drains without traps anywhere in the house.

Thank you!

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #2

Trap on main sewer line?

You will need to check your local building code or plumbing code. In general a master trap for the building is not needed nowadays.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #3

Trap on main sewer line?

I was surprised to reach the end and see that your house is only 15 years old. I usually only see house traps on much, MUCH older buildings. But, as AllanJ said, you'll have to consult your local plumbing codes and/or inspector.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #4

Trap on main sewer line?

Thank you - the building department is insanely jammed over here with all the hurricane damage. I asked four plumbers now. 2 say yes and 2 say no... I need a tie breaker...=)
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote