Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

"Trap" or canister along bathtub drain plumbing

Esteemed Netizoids,
We bought an 80-year-old 2-unit apartment building last year. We have some sort of canister in our plumbing that is in line with the bathtub drain. That is, the bathtub drain piping enters this thing, and there is piping on the other side that goes to the house drain stack. There is a cap on top of the canister that one can unscrew to get in and, I suppose, clean it out.

Side note:
I guess this canister was common in the old days. In our old condo we had this, and it got plugged up. We could not rod out the bathtub drain cuz the rod simply gets stuck in the canister. As well, we could not use caustic drain cleaners in that drain. The condo association gave us some enzymatic drain cleaner to use on a regular basis.

We have the same thing in our current house.
...End side note.

When we gut rehabbed our bathroom in our current house, the contractor left the old bathtub drain plumbing alone, presumably because the bathroom floor was concrete and it would be a big job to pull it up so as to replace the old pipe.

My question is: Is this old canister considered a problem? Is it no longer to code? Should the contractor have replaced it and the piping? And, finally, now that we're stuck with it, what's the best way to deal with it so as to keep our plumbing clear? I should mention that it's now impossible to get at the canister lid without pulling out the bathroom vanity, which would be a significant job I think.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Hushpuppy; 01-11-2007 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Add age info.
Hushpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

If I am correct, this is a drum trap. They were common quite a few years ago. Most were made of brass. It should not be a code problem.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Journeyman Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,000

Drum traps are still allowed these days, most never really get installed anymore, yea the on;y way to clean out a line with this, is to remove the top, should have had it removed regardlees of the difficulties it would have caused, oh well.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:44 PM   #4

Thanks, I did a little looking around and found out that it is indeed a drum trap. Now all I gotta do is open it up and clean it, which is going to be a problem as the builder put the bathroom vanity practically on top of the thing.

Argh. Thanks again for the reply, though. I appreciate it.
Hushpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #5

Ok heres the deal with these monsters. I say monsters simply because when they are working correctly, they are just fin, however, the minute that thing clogs, it leaks like a sieve. Eventually you will find yourself, tearing out something to get to it to either clean it out, or in my case to remove it. Our house is about 125 years old, and frankly the drum trap is nearly as old. They rust out, as ours has, and my kitchen, which is directly below the bathroom is now missing the ceiling. Here's a question , are you sure that trap to your bath tub is not also connected to the sink drain? I ask this simply because that's how our's is plumbed and when the drum gets clogged you can watch the bath tub water back up into the sink or vice versa. In my opinion, get rid of it now, before it becomes the issue. BTW if anyone knows a good way to replace it with some other type of trap, I'd sure love the advice. Good luck to anyone with one of these!
JoeyThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #6

Pupp-
I didnt see your second post before I rambled. If your vanity is sitting on top of it, theres a good chance your sink is tied into that thing as well. You may not want to hear it, but I think your going to have to come up from the ceiling below that room and just get rid of it. Your contractor KNEW better than to leave that old thing in there, although as I said in my last post I am not sure WHAT should be in it's place, I have heard a U trap and sooo many other suggestions. I just know one thing for sure, over time that drum is going to make you a very unhappy person. Good luck.
JoeyThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber View Post
Dram traps are still allowed these days.
I must respectfully disagree. Existing drum traps are "allowed" to remain, but installing a new one is illegal (at least in the USA).

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote