Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2009, 11:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Total Newb Clueless about Flapper

A toilet in my new house was running on and off, so I guessed the flapper is leaking. However, the flapper I have looks nothing like what I've found online - can someone tell me what to do to replace this thing, since the running is worse since I emptied the bowl and examined it.

Pictures attached to help you see what I'm talking about.

pryzmkess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

All of that is just a delay mechanism to insure the tank empties. They should be available at home/hardware stores. But others style flappers should work in its place. The adjustable Fluidmaster should work. The old one is removed by a screw or pin at the pivot point.

That is a 3+ gal/flush toilet, consider a newer 1.6 or 1.2 gal toilet. They work very well now and will save on your water bill.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,026

Some "generic" replacement flappers have a collar that slips over the overflow tube (top of picture as you have shown). This is part of the molded one piece flexible flapper. If the flapper fits on the existing hinge assembly without needing the collar then you would cut away the collar with scissors or pocket knife.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

you should also make sure its not the flush valve that's a problem. It could be the fill valve. If its an older toilet, you may wanna swap to a new fill valve while you're at it. Visit a local plumbing supplier that with photo in hand to ensure compatibility. Good luck with your toilet!
jhamlin38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,026

A problem with the fill valve shows up as the water getting to the top of the overflow tube. This mmight need nothing more than adjusting the fill level.

Do not use force on anything in the toilet tank for example when trying to bend the rod that an old fashioned float ball is attached to while everything is still connected. This could break linkages or plastic parts.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

I've replaced loads of these weighted type flappers. Over time the rubber cone gets deteriorated and the seal is lost. Put on a pair of rubber goves and run your finger over the rubber. Is it black? I'll bet it is. Try to get that black crap off your fingers if you don't wear the gloves. I digress. I have used the Fluidmaster valves and like them a lot. Easy to install and adjust. Once it's installed it will last years. Take you time and it will be fine.
LeakyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Thats and American standard flush disc. just replace the disk i think that model just pops on. use some food coloring in the tank and wait and see if the color leaks into the bowl. If it does its bad. Bring the old one with you when you get the new one because there are a couple models they made that look almost exactly alike but are different.

plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote