Top Water Heater Termostat Popping - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Top water heater termostat popping


Both thermostats have been replaced and the water heater was flushed for sediment less than a month ago. Please help!?

Advertisement

SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 10,112
Rewards Points: 862
Default

Top water heater termostat popping


Check the wattage rating of the elements. Then figure out the normal amperage draw of them if it is not listed on the model # plate and check the draw with an amprobe/amps meter. W=E x I. Watts = volts x amps. Amps = watts/volts. May be drawing too much power/overheating due to corroded connections etc.

Advertisement

__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Top water heater termostat popping


Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Check the wattage rating of the elements. Then figure out the normal amperage draw of them if it is not listed on the model # plate and check the draw with an amprobe/amps meter. W=E x I. Watts = volts x amps. Amps = watts/volts. May be drawing too much power/overheating due to corroded connections etc.
I'll test it shortly. I forgot the mention that the heater produces hot water its just that it runs out quickly and the top thermostat pops quickly.
SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Top water heater termostat popping


The elements are 4500 watts.

The top element read 13.5. Bottom element read 13.2
SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 10,112
Rewards Points: 862
Default

Top water heater termostat popping


Probably the dip tube which is supposed to force the cold water from the cold inlet at the top of the tank to the bottom is cracked or broken off inside the tank. Therefore ALL the heat is trapped at the top level. Google: dip tube for more info. Also click on IMAGES in google.
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Top water heater termostat popping


Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Probably the dip tube which is supposed to force the cold water from the cold inlet at the top of the tank to the bottom is cracked or broken off inside the tank. Therefore ALL the heat is trapped at the top level. Google: dip tube for more info. Also click on IMAGES in google.
Googling now.
SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,762
Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

Top water heater termostat popping


Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Probably the dip tube which is supposed to force the cold water from the cold inlet at the top of the tank to the bottom is cracked or broken off inside the tank. Therefore ALL the heat is trapped at the top level. Google: dip tube for more info. Also click on IMAGES in google.
Why would that cause the thermostat problem?
__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Top water heater termostat popping


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Why would that cause the thermostat problem?
Do you know what would?

After reading it looks like a broke dip tube would cause lukewarm water. Also, seems like the water heater wouldn't overheat and trip the upper thermostat. I could be wrong though. I don't know much about water heaters. Actually I know nothing.
SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 10,112
Rewards Points: 862
Default

Top water heater termostat popping


Just a theory I have. Water gets stratified in the tank and w/o a crystal ball I don't know what is going on in there either.
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 4,239
Rewards Points: 2,388
Default

Top water heater termostat popping


Check that both t-stats sit firmly against the tank, if not they do not sense the temp. correctly and will overheat and trip out.

It might be worth replacing them both again. It has been known that they can be bad new out of the box.
__________________
Location:
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Top water heater termostat popping


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Check that both t-stats sit firmly against the tank, if not they do not sense the temp. correctly and will overheat and trip out.

It might be worth replacing them both again. It has been known that they can be bad new out of the box.
Both t-stats are firm against tank. Retested resistance and continuity both checked out fine. I'm at my wits end.
SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 4,239
Rewards Points: 2,388
Default

Top water heater termostat popping


The resistance of the elements is fine, but test from each element to the side of the tank. That reading should be infinity (very high resistance). If you get a low resistance, the element is grounded to the tank and is bad. I hope it is needless to say, the power must be off for this test.

If this test is good, replace the t-stats again. The problem with a bad t-stat is that either one can cause the reset in the upper stat to trip.
__________________
Location:
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Top water heater termostat popping


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
The resistance of the elements is fine, but test from each element to the side of the tank. That reading should be infinity (very high resistance). If you get a low resistance, the element is grounded to the tank and is bad. I hope it is needless to say, the power must be off for this test.

If this test is good, replace the t-stats again. The problem with a bad t-stat is that either one can cause the reset in the upper stat to trip.
I tested both sides of both elements with the power off. Looks like I'll be replacing the t-stats again.
SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 4,239
Rewards Points: 2,388
Default

Top water heater termostat popping


Damn, you are fast. I posted at 5:09 and you tested both elements and posted your answer at 5:10. Did you really make the tests?
__________________
Location:
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Top water heater termostat popping


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Damn, you are fast. I posted at 5:09 and you tested both elements and posted your answer at 5:10. Did you really make the tests?
I had already tested them before you posted about an hour before.

Advertisement

SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
water heater drip kdange1 Plumbing 6 10-29-2014 06:26 PM
How to properly drain and flush a hot water heater? speedster1 Plumbing 9 04-17-2012 10:55 PM
Oil fired furnace and hot water heater question steveinpa Plumbing 3 08-10-2010 09:42 AM
A blocked water line causing water to loose heat? Snav Plumbing 6 05-07-2010 03:18 PM
Kitchen Faucet Cold Water Runs Hot Mthrboard Plumbing 8 08-02-2009 07:59 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts