Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #1

Share |

tool for removing brass nipples from the inside of the pipe

I had brass nipples protruding from the drywall that I thought were long enough, but the tile guy did a zero grout line which brought the wall out considerably. My once protruding brass nipples are now flush with the marble and I need to remove them and put longer ones in. (it's a shower)

What tool can do this?

noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Would something like this work? Probably available at your local hardware store like ace, HD, or Lowes. Can you post a pic to make sure were talking about the right thing?

nipple extractor set

Last edited by jmon; 05-30-2013 at 11:39 AM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #3

What nipples? I've never seen real pipe nipples used in a shower or tub.
Sure hope you do not mean what sort of looks like nipple in the deverter?
Lowes and HD both sell a set of these if it's a real pipe nipple.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=2
Old 05-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #4

not usually a harbor freight fan, but for something you rarely need at home you can't beat the price unless you can borrow one
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-93822.html

sometimes they coupon them for even less.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 05-30-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #5

Sorry guys- but the ones you linked to not very good.
When it comes to nipple extractors- you have to spend some money and get the very best, high quality you can afford. Most of them are made of cheap soft steel and don't do the job.
You want the kind with a sharp ribbed edge that will dig into the inside wall of the pipe. The expanding type only slip....
I believe Pasco makes a good one. Also check at a top quality tool store- not HD
I'd research it for you but I'm using my phone.....
ben's plumbing (05-30-2013), jmon (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #6

Pic for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
tool for removing brass nipples from the inside of the pipe-image.jpg  

Last edited by noone; 05-30-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Bill Kearney

Well, one would hope it wasn't torqued in so tight as to require the fancier extractors. For $10 I'd at least venture a try with the Harbor Fright or Home Despot varieties. Versus spending a lot more for a very special purpose tool you'd very likely never use again. Either that or talk with the plumber that did the work as they'd likely have the better ones.

At least the tile guy didn't remove them and tile over them.

Hopefully they're properly secured behind there too. Otherwise if you twist too hard on it you might have bigger problems on your hands...

From your picture it looks like there might be just enough to grab with a pair of needle-nose locking pliers. Like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-1402L3-O.../dp/B00004YO5N

If you could get a bite with a pair of those and it wouldn't turn then you'd have an indicator that you need the better extractors. That way you'd only end up with a new pair of vice grips, which you could use again (not extractors you won't ever use again).

Last edited by wkearney99; 05-30-2013 at 02:04 PM.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Roofmaster

Thats why stub outs are usually a lot longer, and are usually just to allow finishing around them.

So you are telling me that your tile guy did not even consider the relative location of these nipples and tell you about it? Or simply take them out when he saw what would happen? Nice Guy.

I was going to say a left handed tap.

Can you put a coupling on, or would that bring you out too far?

Last edited by jagans; 05-30-2013 at 02:36 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
So you are telling me that your tile guy did not even consider the relative location of these nipples and tell you about it? Or simply take them out when he saw what would happen? Nice Guy.

I was going to say a left handed tap.

Can you put a coupling on, or would that bring you out too far?
I doubt couplings would work, he only needs about another 3/4". Or possibly none as whatever fittings he might be using might come with a male end.

I suppose a left-handed tap would work. And likely be of better quality than the previously suggested extractors. Not at all as expensive as I would have guessed:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_hi...nd&node=228013

But the question is what size would be right tap for the interior diameter of the pipe he's got there? I'm guessing that's 1/2" pipe? Would a 1/2" tap fit inside or would he need something smaller like the 7/16?

I would never underestimate just how unthinking a subcontractor can be. I'm appalled at how utterly lacking in vision they can be. There seems to be a kind of tunnel vision that prevents them from even looking 2 feet in either direction of the work they're doing. It's not that they "don't care" or that they're deliberately doing something stupid. No, they genuinely seem incapable of thinking outside the scope of their tiny bit of work directly in front of their eyes. Ugh, don't get me started...

Last edited by wkearney99; 05-30-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #10

The plumber that did the work was ME.

I don't think I torqued them on too tight, because I thought I was going to have to buy a different size or a custom length ones to get everything to screw on flush. I put them on with some rector something and then test fitted the fittings on to them. I don't know, they may be tight....

The drop ears behind the wall I screwed into 3/4" plywood using 1" #8 screws, 2 on each ear.

The nipple for each is supposed to protrude from the wall 1/2", per Kohler. I still don't know how I can get that perfect, being that once the threads on the two ends have the rector seal and/or pvc tape, things screw in not as deep. I was planning on trying a few different sizes and see what sits flush and tight, but i'm open for suggestions on how to better approach this.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I doubt couplings would work, he only needs about another 3/4". Or possibly none as whatever fittings he might be using might come with a male end.

I suppose a left-handed tap would work, but one that size is probably a lot more expensive than an extractor would be. That and just finding the left-hand variety would be a challenge.

I would never underestimate just how unthinking a subcontractor can be. I'm appalled at how utterly lacking in vision they can be. There seems to be a kind of tunnel vision that prevents them from even looking 2 feet in either direction of the work they're doing. It's not that they "don't care" or that they're deliberately doing something stupid. No, they genuinely seem incapable of thinking outside the scope of their tiny bit of work directly in front of their eyes. Ugh, don't get me started...
Geez, and all this time I thought it was because they did not give a crap.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Geez, and all this time I thought it was because they did not give a crap.
Yeah, that's the first thing that comes to mind. But when you see a whole house being done you really can't just chalk it up to something that simple. It's a kind of tunnel-vision blind ignorance. If they didn't care there'd be more sloppiness to it. I guess you could call that not giving a crap, but it really seems a lot dumber than just that. While still being smart enough to do the part right in front of them correctly.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
The plumber that did the work was ME.

The nipple for each is supposed to protrude from the wall 1/2", per Kohler. I still don't know how I can get that perfect, being that once the threads on the two ends have the rector seal and/or pvc tape, things screw in not as deep. I was planning on trying a few different sizes and see what sits flush and tight, but i'm open for suggestions on how to better approach this.
I suspected it was your own work, glad to hear you're getting closer to the end of the job!

You'll probably be close enough with the typical nipples available from a local plumbing supply place. Don't just depend on the limited selections you can get a the box stores. Otherwise you'd have to get threads cut onto pipe and that's going to be a challenge with lengths that short and likely not cheap. Cross your fingers and go stock up some varied sizes from the supplier...

Otherwise, what's on the other side of that wall....
Old 05-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #14

Well, I thought that "I" was going to be doing the tile work, but I ended up hiring an excellent stone crew that does work even to my exacting standards.

Quite glad I did, as I had planned for 1/8" grout lines, and this guy said he doesn't do grout lines which was fine with me.

The tile turned out excellent, it still needs to be grouted though.

There is a built-in cabinet on the other side of that wall that I built. The right side of this built-in is the other side of the wall in the bathroom. Gosh, I hope I don't ever have to tear into the inside of that.
Attached Thumbnails
tool for removing brass nipples from the inside of the pipe-photo-5-.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
Lord of Slums

Rule number one, never use a cheap extractor. The stakes are a lot high on an engine, but still. By the looks of that tile I would buy the best extractor I could find. Used once it will be money well spent. Now, having said that, if you can screw a long black pipe coupling on there: use some permanent lock tite. It will bind to the nipple and you can remove it. I am happy when I can just eat the profit on a job. Maybe even have the honor of paying someone to work on their house. As long as I can walk away from a professional job, done too last. With no damage.

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote